Should I avoid family member with MRSA...I have RRMS

Hi everyone…I havent been on here for a while, but have a question, which I probably already know the answer to, but hoping I may be wrong.

I have RRMS and have a Tysabri treatment every 6 weeks. My daughter-in-law, who gave birth 6 months ago, is going into hospital for a small op and has had to be swabed for MRSA - she has not been ill but 1 of the 3 swabs has shown positive and she needs to take antebiotics.

My question is…should I avoid having contact with her until she has completed the course of tablets, etc?

Sure the answer is yes, but just checking? I have been in regualar contact with her since the birth, so would it be ‘shutting the door after the horse has already bolted’?

Thanks for taking the time to read this - take care of yourselves…

Equus

MRSA isn’t that easy to catch normally but if I were you I’d rather not risk it. Our immune systems are haywire and MRSA is one of those infections that needs less often prescribed antibiotics. If you get the infection yourself later on you have more chance of that antibiotic not being effective.

I think you were expecting that type of response. Only you can decide if you want to risk it but I know I’d prefer to keep my social calls to over the phone. Imagine how she’ll feel if you catch it from her and end up poorly, I think she’ll understand don’t you?

Min x

On 16th March this year someone posed this question as well (MRSA and Ms).

I agree with the comments made with the previous thread. Good Hand Hygiene and wipe everything down with clor-clean (or equivilent) will both reduce and eliminate MRSA for you and the other person. For you to catch it, you are talking direct contact so:

• Regularly wash your hands
  • Keep your fingernails short and clean because bacteria can grow under larger nails.
  • Do not share any products that come into contact with your skin, such as soaps, lotions, creams and cosmetics.
  • Do not share unwashed towels.
  • Do not share any personal items that come into contact with your skin, such as razors, nail files, combs or hairbrushes, without thoroughly cleaning them first.

(Taken from a NHS website) but as a nurse with RRMS, if in doubt, wear gloves!