shopmobility?

Morning everyone!

Hope you all are feeling OK today. I just thought I’d run this past you…

I’ve been travelling through to the City centre hoping to do some much needed clothes shopping and although I feel fine when I leave the house, by the time I get there and walk to the particular store I want to visit (it’s in the centre of town in a pedestrianised area and not too close to a taxi drop off zone) I become horribly weak and exhausted. If I do manage to pick something up then, all too often, I have to put it back and leave as my legs start to buckle and I just feel I could collapse. It’s the same at the supermarket.

I’m feeling down about not being able to stay out all day shopping like I used to and coming home with a bag full of stuff, it takes all my energy sometimes to just stand and pick out a birthday card and with Christmas looming up I’m going to have to sort something out or no-one will be getting any gifts.

Does anyone have any tips about how to go out shopping? I’m wondering if any of you think it OK for me to make use of the Shopmobility scheme by getting a wheelchair or scooter for a couple of hours, only, the last thing I want is for someone to think I’m faking things, I am getting higher rate mobility DLA.

Linda

1 Like

Linda

Do it. That’s what Shopmobility exist for. Just give them a call and they’ll reassure you that it’s for people like you to enable a bit more independence and enjoyment from life.

It takes a little while to get used to driving a scooter or electric wheelchair, but you’ll soon get used to it.

It will give you a new lease of life.

Sue

Hi Linda

I don’t go out without my Rollator. I chose a four wheeler with a seat so when I get too tired I can sit myself down for however long it takes. I’ve found I can totter around the supermarket for a while but as soon as I stop e.g. to queue to pay, I start folding in half with pain and have to rest.

Another advantage is that I can put my shopping basket on the seat while I’m walking, and move it on to the floor while I sit down.

It’s light weight so I can fold it up and put it in the car on my own. The only drawback I’ve come across is the tyres are slim, solid rubber, so it doesn’t cope with cobbled paths/roads. OK for normal use, but stay away from Bristol Harbour!!! Agony with vibrations running up my arms (- we visited the Bristol Harbour Festival this year, I don’t normally hang around the docks)!

AngC x

Hi Linda,

I started using the shopmobility scooters about 4 years ago and LOVE them!! Gives me independence, makes shopping so easy AND it carries all your shopping for you!! When I see people I know I give them a cheery smile. Everyone I’ve met has been so helpful.

I’ve used them in my home town and lots of other cities that I visit.

Anyone can use a scooter, you don’t have to be disabled - knee op, twisted ankle. As someone who has HL DLA you’re just the sort of person they’re for.

Each council is different. My advice is to give your local one a call.They usually ask for two forms of ID. One with your address.

Mine issues people with a card with your number on it, so you can book them. Unusually ours is free and you just give a donation.

Others range from £5- £7 for a day.

Before they let you loose they give you a little test drive. Maybe try a little three wheeler first, easier to get round shop displays.

If they’re in a car park and you phone and reserve a scooter they sometimes reserve you a parking space if you have a blue badge.

Have a go next time you’re visiting another city if you don’t want people to see you. Get some confidence.

I’ve got my own scooter now but still use the shopmobility ones for convenience.

Go on, try them and let us know how you get on.

Jen x

1 Like

Yes yes yes! Absolutely go and try a shopmob scooter!

I did so for a year and then bought my own. But that meant changing my car too, to get it in and then getting ramps!

But you’ll wonder why you left it so long. Shopping will once again become a pleasure!

Go girl! Shop till you drop…but not literally of course!

Pollsx

Linda.

The seeds of my new found liberation started with a manual wheelchair. Then scooters in superstores. I now have two power chairs (one folds into a car boot), a rollator, a scooter and various things to help with toileting!

I go on buses, trains and have just booked a flight abroad.

If you’re on higher rate mobility there can be no question.

It’s there for you. What’s my most common phrase when out and about?

“Mind your toes.”

Steve

Hey, Steve, thats one of my most used sentences too...mind your toes, or, Ill get you next time!

Can I ask which of your power chairs folds up. Do you remove batteries too? I guess you`d have to.

cheers, Pollsx

1. My local council asked to see my Blue Badge before they’d rent me a scooter.
  2. You get the mobility component of DLA specifically to pay for things like a Shopmobility scooter.
  3. Only 79 days left until Christmas.
  4. Get shopping!

Hello Polls.

I bought my chair from better products for disabled people. The batteries stay in when it folds. Its a cool machine.

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1065/1952/products/BLUE10J_1024x1024.png?v=1496002789

Steve

Hello Steve.

That looks an excellent piece of machinery. Is it that one you’ll be taking on your flight with you? Make sure you read all info on your carrier’s web site regarding motorised chairs and what regulations are etc.

At the moment I’ve only ever taken my manual Quickie Helium on my travels, as hubby is happy to push. My motorised one is not suitable for air travel.

Hello all. I’m just jumping on this thread which I found when I did a search for Shopmobility. So. If you have one of those scooter things you can take it right into the shop, right? Yesterday I went to my local shopping mall in north west London. I always find it difficult there these days - too warm, inadequately airconditioned, something about the lights and the flooring and the people- all of which affect me even with my walking pole to help. And I have a bad back at the moment to boot. I couldn’t go where I wanted to go as I did a couple of errands then it just got too much for me. One end of the mall to another - which isn’t that far at all and was something I used to do without thinking of it back in the day - seemed like climbing Everest. For the first time I thought about one of those mobility vehicles. I know where to borrow it from as I used to go with my mother and push her in a wheelchair from there a few years ago. I found it all rather depressing - my MS was confirmed as secondary in February and I really notice the deterioration now on bad days - but I thought that I should just accept that sometimes I need a bit more help. I didn’t have that problem using a walking pole (as recommended by physio) So does it go inside the store with the person riding it? And if you want to ‘park’ it outside (bearing in mind it’s a covered mall) can you just lock it and leave it - like a car? Would appreciate your experiences! Thanks - Louise

Hi Louise,

Wish I’d read the whole thread as I commented on the original message then typed this one too!!

Does it show you how good they are when I replied twice?

Some of us get to the stage where we would benefit from extra help. It can make our lives easier.

Where I live the shopmobility service is free, you just give a donation. ( I think this is an exception, you pay for most).

You register and they gave me a little card with my membership number. You don’t have to prove you’re disabled, anyone can borrow one. First time they usually give you instructions on how it works and ask you to drive forward/backwards turn etc.

Yes, they go in shops, depending on what size you get. I usually ask for a small 3 or 4 wheel one, more nippy. They can put a shopping box ion the back too. If you leave outside a shop just take the key out.

Google shopmobility in your local area and it will give you all the details. I used them when I was out and about around the country before I got my own scooter.

Final warning - you will spend more money as your trusty scooter carries your shopping you’re not restricted by how much you can carry!!

Have fun and let us know how you get on.

x

Totally depends on the shop and the door and your own ability to walk. Big shops like M&S, ASDA are well laid out and have wide aisles. Smaller shops tend to stick stuff at the end of aisles and its not the first time I’ve an incident in aisle 2!

Scooters have a LARGE turning circle, and so smaller shops, I’d leave the scooter outside and take the key/shopping with you.

If shops can’t be arsed to set stands out in a sensible manner then they risk losing custom from wheelchair users and not only that, folks with buggies. Having said that, if your talking about a mall then you should be fine. They tend to have lifts, loos, flar surfaces and no steps.

Thanks for the replies. I shall seriously consider signing up with the shopmobility next time I go to that shopping mall. I did in fact manage to go on Friday but kept the visit very short with a couple of short ‘sit-downs’. I don’t know whether it’s me or not but I always find it too warm in there - even in winter - and the M & S (regular visit for me) just doesn’t bother to put the aircon on/or do it on an economy setting. I think they’re trying to save money, but I always try and get out as quickly as possible. Except for the food department which is blissfully cool. In this extended hot weather supermarkets are my friend! My local Iceland (the store though probably it would apply to the country too!) is lovely and fresh inside!

Louise

Louise,

My experiences with the shopmobility scooters over the years has been consistently excellent.

As others have said, most of the larger shops are very accommodating when it comes to scooters.

I don’t ordinarily do a lot of shopping but if say I’m on holiday with my wife and daughter, the scooter is an absolute must for me.

derek