Severe sleeping problems

Hello All,

It is currently nearly 6am and again I haven’t slept at all :sleepy:

This has been going on for a couple of weeks now. I have 2 nights of 0-2 hrs of sleep, sleep for 1 night and then back to not sleeping.

I’m drifting off to sleep multiple times but jerk awake again, either my limbs jerk and/or my brain seems to jerk awake. It feels like my brain has forgotten how to sleep!

I work part time in an office and I feel like a zombie and it is affecting my concentration at work.

I have also noticed a sensory smell issue where I smell smoke or strange smell that feels like it’s in my head/nose.

I am wondering if I should contact my nurse? Or has anyone experienced anything similar.

I have RRMS for 10 years and Epilepsy for 9 years (due to a lesion). Both have been controlled really well for the last 4 years and usually I sleep every night with rarely any issues.

Thank you for taking the time to read. :slightly_smiling_face:

Sorry to hear this, the summer heat definitely doesn’t help.

Have you tried some of the mindfulness apps?

Hi I use a mediation app insight timer it as some great sleep mediatiovn which I find really helps also it’s free, I have used melatonin tablets that really helps, also I eat early 3/4 hours before bed even though it sounds boring I try to have a routine before bed

Lack of sleep is dangerous - especiall for your mental health, along with the physical side of things as well - speak to your gp (if possible)

Hello,

Thank you, I will have a look at the meditation app.

Can I ask whether you brought the tablets or are they prescribed?

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, my daughter recommended one which did work one of the nights.

I have emailed my MS nurse to see if she can help at all. Fingers crossed!

I am sorry. Prolonged insomnia is horrid. It doesn’t happen to me often but sends me pretty bonkers when it does. Well done, keeping a level head, by the sound of it.

CBT-i is said to work - it’s only thing shown to do so - and the GP can prescribe a course of treatment if you live in the right area. It’s an app, I recall, or at least it’s certainly digital. TBH my last bad spell resolved itself immediately after a single blissful sleep powered by one of the tiny number of zopiclone allowed me by a kind GP who knew a desperate woman when she saw one. But I was impressed by what I saw of the CBT-i course. It seemed sensible and practical.
I hope that your sleep improves soon.

Thank you Alison :slightly_smiling_face:

I have no idea how I got through a week of work! Altho I felt like a zombie, it took my mind off it and made me feel better.

I have tried to book a GP app but none available at the moment

On a positive note, I feel like I’m never gonna moan about being tired again after a full nights sleep :smile:

1 Like

i think that medicin will hep only on the short term so to cure your problem you should do something that makes you happy and keeps you distracted from the hard things of life

Not related to sleep.

But I did have an issue back in nov 19 when i could smell something that was not there.

I have only just been told i have Ms and never related this systom back to MS.

Have you tried any of the usual sleep aids? If not, I suggest talking to your nurse about what options might work for you. On top of that, it’s important to create a comfortable sleep environment. One thing I’ve found that helps with sleeping is to try to keep the temperature of my bedroom cool. Investing in the best bed cooling can help regulate the temperature of your bed and make it easier to sleep. Finally, make sure you are taking care of yourself during the day. Try to take regular breaks, get some fresh air, and focus on calming activities. It’s also important to have a set sleep schedule. Go to bed and wake up at the same time every day, even on weekends.