Scooter to fit in car

Hello, I am looking at buying a new scooter. Does anyone use a folding scooter that would be easily lifted into to boot of a car?? I am keen to get something that goes for a few miles

If anyone has any ideas that would be great

There have been a lot of threads on this such as

You can find more by using the search facility.

If you were more specific with the type of car and how you want to use the scooter (around town or cross country) people will be able to help more.
I use a supascooter who have quite a range to suit different conditions. As well as folding they split into parts.

While buying online may be cheaper finding a good dealer so you can try it out and check the fit and practicality of putting it in and out of the car is my advice.

I really use it to go around town centres / national trust (small slopes) places. I really need something that will fit in a smallish boot. Equally as important is something I can lift

Hi, I have a go go elite traveller, 4 wheel one, personally I wouldn’t have a 3 wheel one. Mine is quite small, but the battery is heavy, but this can be taken off and the scooter is self does break down into about 5 pieces, my car has a hoist, so I’ve no need to do this, actually my hubby does all these things now anyway, but when I was still able I could manage, so if you are, I don’t see any reason why you shouldn’t be able to do it. Mine does slight slopes, goes up to 10 miles on a full charge, that’s the other thing to that I’ve learnt over the years, always keep your battery plug in and on, even when it shows fully charged, the life of the battery lasts longer, about 3yrs, the 1st one I got I didn’t do this and ended up not being able to go very far before the battery power gave up, hope this has been helpful, good luck.
Jean

Market is enormous. Personally I would steer clear of any that offer protective housings to keep the controls dry if it rains.

A lot of National Trust properties and other tourist attractions offer the loan or hire of scooters which have greater capability than any boot scooter and I take full advantage when on holiday.

You need to try out the scooter. When we bought mine the shop showed how placing a mat over the cill of the car allowed the scooter to be slid in and out rather than a dead lift. A padded and sprung seat adds comfort but considerable weight.

Treat it in the same way as buying a car. Work out your redlines for example: I have to be able to put this in the boot of this car. What do the local dealers offer. Arrange a test drive. Pick your colour etc.

Your height (and weight) are factors. I have seen many that look great on paper but are much too small for my six foot frame. A good shop should help you choose what is best for you.

A lot of people I know have more than one!

Batteries are a black art. The advice I was given was to charge fully after each use. Leaving a battery continuously on charge would not suit all chargers.

As mine only sees occasional use, I do connect to the charger if I have not used it for a few weeks.

Sorry to disagree crd, but I definetly think you should keep on charge, as it says in the instructions of mine, I’ve spent a lot of money on batteries because I didn’t and don’t weat others to have to do the same’
Jean

p.s. I was doing the same as you crd, my scooter was only getting used occasionally and only charged then, what a mistake
Jean

I have tried to get to the bottom of best practice.

There are more than one type of recharable batteries in a number applications. The answer will depend on the chemistry in the battery and the sophistication of the charger. The consensus seems to be to never let a battery fully discharge. Mobile phone chargers are fairly sophisticated but you are not advised to keep them on trickle charge. My campervan batteries seem to be doing well with solar panels topping them up. Chargers are quite different for each type of battery and have widely different characteristics. The person who sells you the scooter will know the type of battery and the characteristics of the charger and have experience of real world use.

I am not suggesting your advice is wrong for your circumstances, just that it doesn’t necessarily cover all cases!

Lithium Ion (Li+) batteries are used in anything from watches, mobile phones, laptops, right up to Electric Cars.

Li+ batteries generally work best for long-term health when charged from approx. 10% - 90% charge, so where possible, work to that range. In practice though, life gets in the way so they can get very discharged, only partially charged or get fully charged and the charger is left in. This isn’t terrible news if it happens, as long as you aim for best practice when you can.

Just like a laptop battery, I wouldn’t recommend you leaving a chair or scooter battery on charge indefinitely unless your user manual specifically tells you to do so. The sophistication of the charger will have a bearing too. A smart charger should slow the charging rate as 100% capacity is approached and automatically cut out and/or default to a trickle mode when full charge is achieved.

In summary, for peak capacity and efficiency, it’s best to charge to near max, run it down low and then recharge - when you can.

Are you sure you want a scooter?

I started shopping for a scooter and ended up with an electric wheelchair. Using a joystick mounted on the end of the armrest instead of a steering column and handlebars, plus a fold-out footplate rather than a footboard between chair & a steering column, you save a vast amount of size & weight. Makes it lighter to lift and more manoeuvrable as well as easier to fold & stow in the car boot.

Well I’ve had 2 go go elite scooter’s, one I charged only when necessary, battery didn’t last at all, this one I leave on trickle charge and its great, that’s my experience, I too have a electric indoor wheelchair, got it through my MS nurse, advice from company…leave on trickle charge, it’s done well for me, but you must decide for you.
Jean

Hi, I’ve been using a DiBlasi R30 scooter for years, now on my second scooter. I like that you can fold it up at a touch of a button.I have a hoist to fit it in the boot. It is a 3 wheeler, and you can feel a bit unstable on it, but I’ve only gone over once in the street, in Dieppe by a cafe. Travelled a lot with it, Moscow, St Petersburg, Riga, Paris, Kalamata, it’s great on planes. It’s not very reliable, but it is fun, and kids love it, because it’s like a toy bike - " Mum, can I have one ?" “Don’t be silly, that’s not for kids like you”

Hi I regularly use a Pride Gogo Elite Traveller Plus 3 wheeler.
The advantage of the 3 wheeler is it’s incredible turning circle. It’s also better for taller people (I’m 6’). People worry about toppling over but I’ve not had a problem although I’m careful on slopes. The bigger battery gives excellent range.
I bought mine on eBay very much cheaper. Research in motability shops to see what suits you.
It’s described as a boot scooter and breaks into 5. Rear wheels and motor, platform and tiller folds down, battery, seat and basket. The battery and motor are both quite heavy.

Good luck however you Gogo :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: