Forum

Scooter recommendations

I have finally accepted that I am unlikely to be able to cycle again. I would like to get a mobility scooter that will go at 8mph, but is not too big. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Hiya, I’ve got a Scout drive scooter. It’s max speed is 4mph but to be honest that is faster than anyone walking with me. I have only used it at half that speed so far and I am still in front of those walking.

It has made such a difference to all of our lives.

Good luck with your search.

Shazzie xx

I can’t help with a scooter recommendation, but have you considered getting an electric trike? You can still peddle a bit (if possible) and the electric motor can assist, or take over completely if required.

This is the most expensive model, but cheaper options are available.

http://diblasi.co.uk/Folding_Tricycles.asp?Prd=R34&Pag=Prodotto&Lng=en

Thank you for that - I already have a trike but I feel so unstable on it that I don’t think it would be sensible to get a motor fitted. I don’t want a scooter to go alongside people who are walking, I want to use it to replace a bike. It’s a class 3 mobility scooter I want. Does anyone have one?

Up until three years ago I used a CLASS III Shoprider Cadiz and did over 3,000 miles in 2 years on the road.It did 10 MPH,yes really,and the reason was that the speed limiting on scooters does vary between countries and the ‘naughty Cadiz’ was an open secret, as some 16 KPH models were imported into the UK. I got it very cheap.as ‘brand new second hand’ and all it needed was a pair of the most powerful batteries,some work on the trans-axle, two tyres and that was it.

A brilliant scooter that is relatively small and nimble with attention to detail in the construction. It coped very well with what was considered a very high mileage.You need to consider what you want a scooter to do,where it will be kept,charging,insurance,recovery if it goes **ts up, blah blah, blah

Happy whizzing,

Wb

ps Obviously I never drove at more than 8 MPH,your Honour

Haha, your secret’s safe with us. ;D

Thank you woblyboy. I did have another question, about storage. I was thinking of sheltered but not sealed storage outside. I mean something open on one side - a small construction on the side of our house. Did you store yours somewhere completely dry or partially open?

Hello there.My scooter was kept in the foyer outside my flat, so was warm,dry and electrified.If the scooter is dry that is fine but the batteries should ideally be plugged into the charger permanently so that if the power held drops the charger will kick in.The cold really kills batteries,just remember our ‘mini ice age’ a few years back and the problems with dodgy car batteries.Putting some kind of blanket etc around the battery box may help keep them warm.When it was very cold in the unheated foyer I used to warm the batteries with a hair dryer for 10 minutes before take-off,being tight and squeezing the last drops out of them before replacement.

A geezer I know uses a small car portable buggy and the battery pack lifts out for charging indoors as it lives in his unheated shed.I don’t think there are any 6/8 MPH scooters with this facility,and the batteries ain’t light for moving around.If there is a reputable Mobility shop you can use they should be a source of information.

Regards, Wb

1 Like

l have had scooters for 25yrs. And love them. Most l have bought second-hand - and with regular use the batteries will last for years. Right now l have a Tramper - which is almost all-terrain. l take my dogs out with me over the fields and woods. lt is great in the snow and ice. TGA do some good scooters - and they also stock second-hand ones. Their Super Sports is a great machine- it has three big wheels - easy to handle and very solid. lts the ‘Harley’ of scooters.

My Tramper has its own trailer that l can put it on to tow to different events - like dog/horse shows and ploughing matches. Many stately homes and gardens plus beauty spots have Trampers to hire.

lf used regularly the big batteries can last easily 11yrs. lts when they are left - not used that they deteriorate. Mine is always covered in mud - and pollen and seeds from the fields.

l even go into the next village to use the ‘hole in the wall’ cash machine - on my Tramper- with the dogs of course - lts easier then driving and parking and having to get from the car to the cash machine with my rollator. And with two rotties with me - nobody is going to chance robbing me!

l have had scooters for 25yrs. And love them. Most l have bought second-hand - and with regular use the batteries will last for years. Right now l have a Tramper - which is almost all-terrain. l take my dogs out with me over the fields and woods. lt is great in the snow and ice. TGA do some good scooters - and they also stock second-hand ones. Their Super Sports is a great machine- it has three big wheels - easy to handle and very solid. lts the ‘Harley’ of scooters.

My Tramper has its own trailer that l can put it on to tow to different events - like dog/horse shows and ploughing matches. Many stately homes and gardens plus beauty spots have Trampers to hire.

lf used regularly the big batteries can last easily 11yrs. lts when they are left - not used that they deteriorate. Mine is always covered in mud - and pollen and seeds from the fields.

l even go into the next village to use the ‘hole in the wall’ cash machine - on my Tramper- with the dogs of course - lts easier then driving and parking and having to get from the car to the cash machine with my rollator. And with two rotties with me - nobody is going to chance robbing me!

I was muttering out of my fundament about 6/8 MPH scooters and easily removable batteries.I’ve seen one of the Liteways in the link, if it works(virgin),and I likened it to a Lambo’…Fast,lightweight,fragile and quirky.The batteries come out relatively easily for charging indoors.The range is very optimistic,but ‘back in the day’ I would have adored one for playing in the traffic.

http://www.regentmobility.co.uk/wa/1/45/2842-Rascal-Liteway-8.html

Whoopee…If it doesn’t work, Google the beast,

Happy hunting, Wb <(L)>

I have a Quickie (no honestly it’s called that!) manual wheelchair and, to convert it to a powered one I have something called a Firefly which clips onto the front. It does 18 mph… Woo hoo! and looks really cool and is pretty good off road. II fits into my car boot and the Firefly bit is much lighter than a standard battery powered wheelchair. It’s pricey but I love it - as much as you can love a wheelchair!

That sounds like what I want. Do you ever go 18mph?

I’ve gone pretty fast when I’ve been out in the open for example out in a local country park! It feel great to be able to say “keep up!” To my other half! I’m really careful where there are a lot of people around though…