Forum

Scared

Hi, My names Adam I’m 20 years old, I’m scared I have ms after I searched my symptoms up on google. Symptoms; Tingling in the hands then arms and torso lasts 2-10 mins and really irritating Muscle spasms/pain Bad eye sight but also blur out sometimes takes time to focus Sexual disfunction although I have managed to have sex a few times my partner is very understanding Unbalanced sometimes Really tired sometimes and suffer from mood swings I am going to the doctors but scared what will he do to check for ms and what can the long term effects be if I have got it. Also what can the doctor do you me? Also have I made myself scared for no reason or should I expect the worse?

Hi Adam, Do not expect the worse - your symptoms can be caused by many things other than MS. You could be suffering from a simple vitamin deficiency but you won’t know unless you go the doctor’s. It is not always a good idea to search on Google as you can scare yourself silly without reason. Your GP should do blood tests to see if you have any deficiencies - if these are negative he may then refer you to a neurologist. There is not a lot of point speculating about MS until other things have been ruled out. Having said that, MS is a hugely variable condition and everyone who has it, suffers differently. It is not the end of the world if people do have it either. Most sufferers do not end up in a wheelchair and one can still have a full life. Stop worrying and get on with your life - in the meantime, see that GP. Teresa xx

Hi Adam

I found this list which suggests other possibilities and actually know of someone who recently thought she had MS but it was actually put down to depression:

Now come a battery of tests designed to eliminate the various differential diagnoses, some of which are more urgent or more serious than MS, others are more benign or self-limiting. Diseases like Tumour or other Cord compression, Stroke, Acute Disseminated EncephaloMyelitis (ADEM), Lyme disease, Sub-Acute Sclerosing Panencephalitis, Neurosyphilis, Progressive Multifocal Leukoencephalopathy, Systemic Lupus Erythematosus, Cerebral Arteritis, Complicated Migraine, Diabetes, Hypothyroidism, Myasthenia Gravis, Acute Transverse Myelitis, Herpes Simplex Encephalitis, Polyarteritis nodosa, Sjogren syndrome, Behcet’s syndrome, Sarcoidosis, Paraneoplastic syndromes, neuromyelitis optica (Devic’s syndrome), HIV-associated myelopathy, Adrenomyeloneuropathy, other Myelopathy, Spinocerebellar syndromes, Hereditary Spastic Paraparesis, Guillian Barre Syndrome, Polymyositis, Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo, Parkinson’s Disease, Cerebral Haemorrhage, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), Mononeuritis, Huntington’s Disease, Post-Infectious Encephalitis, Arteriovenous Malformations, Arachnoid Cysts, Arnold-Chiari Malformations, Cervical Spondylosis and many more.

Hi Adam and welcome :slight_smile:

Google has a lot to answer for in many ways because, as Teresa said, it can lead to us being scared silly by all sorts of things when there’s no need and I honestly think that your problems are more likely to be because of a vitamin deficiency or slight imbalance in something than MS, for a start because the tingling would be much more persistent and not move about so much.

I would guess that your GP will get you to have some blood tests as a first step and then take it from there.

Try not to worry.

Karen x

Flippin eck Tricky. Poor Adam will never be off `tinternet!

luv Pollx

Hi, Thanks for all of the replies, I have been to my gp he’s taken a blood and I’m just awaiting the result… He mentioned ms before I even mentioned it and telling me it’s not the end of the world if I have got it. He said he was worried because the symptoms are getting alot more frequent. I guess I can only wait and see I will keep you all posted and hope for the best I suppose. Also the look on his face when I said other family members have had it wasn’t too comforting :slight_smile: but like I said I’m probably just scaring myself :slight_smile: Thanks for helping reduce my worries :slight_smile:

hi adam

you’re too young to be going through all this crap but i should imagine you’ll be referred to a neurologist.

then IF you are dx with ms, you should be able to get one of the DMDs

dont worry yourself silly because that gets you nowhere

carole x

Glad you’ve been to see the GP Adam. He is doing right by you by first taking blood but he is not qualified to say whether someone has MS or not - only a neuro can do that. Therefore, it is not very helpful that he said that. Try not to worry - you have started the ball rolling now which is a good thing to help you find out what is wrong. It is a case of ‘wait and see’ but try to push it out of your head for now and enjoy your life. As we have said, it could be a simple deficiency! Keep us posted! Teresa xx