Retreats

Does anyone have any recommendations or advice on any suitable retreats where I can get myself in order for a few days?
I’m trying to deal with a marriage breakdown and want to be away from a home environment

I can’t offer any real suggestions, because I’m not in the UK, but what about a bed & breakfast in a town not too far away? One that has shops or attractions nearby that would help you take a mini holiday.

I don’t know if it would work for you, but when I was in that position I just went and stayed with a relative whom I was close to but who lived more than an hour away. She had a park-like property and just let me do my own thing while I was there. We talked when I wanted to talk, but mostly she left me alone to do my thinking.

I’ve never used one. There do seem to be plenty advertised, and catering for different needs, so hopefully you’ll find one that has the location and facilities that grabs your interest. I’m assuming you are thinking of retreat rather than just renting a cottage in a nice location, so that there are people you can interact with, when you want, and things such as yoga or saunas, hot tubs etc to help you relax? Hope you find just what you are looking for and it helps you get into a better place mentally.

Hi Giova, so sorry you find yourself in this situation.

I go to our local hospice for respite. Do you have one near you?

Boudsx

That sounds wonderful and I wish I was able to do that. Unfortunately I do not have any friends where I could or would want to stay. Similarly with family, I have no siblings and I am not close to my extended family. B&B at present is the best option but Im not able to get around or walk very wel

Thank you for your reply. Ideally I want a proper retreat. The world has treated me badly

Hi and thank you. I am a bit confused though about your suggestion of a Hospice. They allow people to stay there for some solitude? I would love to know where

Hi, I am involved with our local hospice…they held a drop in weekly and now do zooms instead.

Locally they look after those dying with cancer, as well as other diseases.

But they also look after people who need their meds/pain relief sorting, plus they offer respite to folk like me who have chronic MS and their OH needs a break.

There is time for solace, plus nursing care.

Boudsx

I need something as am falling apart physically and mentally

I don’t know if you’ve seen this web site? I know nothing about it, but it may be a starter to find somewhere that would suit, and the type of retreats that are available. Of places that look interesting to you, google them separately for reviews, and maybe for cheaper rates too.

Hope you find something that meets your needs.

1 Like

Hi Giova
I’m sorry you’re finding things so hard, I’ve got experience of a marriage breakup so I can relate. One suggestion to consider is a a monastery or convent, or a Christian retreat centre. They’re usually in beautiful settings, with peaceful grounds and gardens where you can get away from it all. You can just be on your own, but many may have the chance to talk to someone who can listen and help you process your feelings.
There are some here - https://www.benedictine-oblates.net/links/retreats/?doing_wp_cron=1644887893.7355320453643798828125
https://www.retreats.org.uk/

Dan

Thank you Ziola I will have a look. It looks most interesting

Thank you Dan it looks very interesting and will have a good look at these. I hope some are suitable for the disabled people because I did have something like this in mind as I may need some spiritual help

If you google monastery & convent stays, you’ll find lots of hits. Obviously they’ll vary in what they offer, but they’ll generally be cheap, and often offer meals. You’ll probably need to call/email them to find out about accessibility. Many of them will be old buildings, so some parts might not be accessible. But on the other hand, many of the monks & nuns will be old with limited mobility themselves, so adaptations will have already been made.

Dan

Thank you Dan that’s very interesting and I will follow it up