Restless legs

Hi everyone

A friend of mine who also has MS is having terrible problems with restless legs, could you please tell me of any drugs that have helped me? Thank you.

Hi Is she sure it’s restless legs and not spasms she’s getting?

Magnesium worked for me and worth trying before the more heavy duty drugs.

1 Like

You may have a point there anon I’ll ask what drugs she’s been given for it. Thanks for that.

Thank you Whammel

Baclofen, Amitriptyline and Gabapentin.

I`ve tried all of these and they all helped especially at night while trying to sleep.

Gabapentin worked best for me.

My legs were constantly requiring for me to move them or get up and walk around or even excercise.

Now I can get my beauty sleep.

1 Like

I took Baclofen for spasms and restless legs at night, but it only helped for a few hours then it started again. My neurologist changed it to Clonezapam and its been much better, I can go all night with lovely relaxed legs.

1 Like

Hi, I haven’t been on for at least a couple of years, my secondary progressive MS mainly affects my LHS and for the past 18 m0nths cannabis oil has helped my lower left leg and foot spasms. It also helps with my restless left leg, I’ve used 15% oil from different suppliers with good reviews on a certain buying/selling site. I take about 4 drops twice a day and feel that is sufficient for my symptoms. Doom and Gloom.

I use baclofen for nighttime spasms and it works pretty well. I initially tried clonazepam but, although it worked like a dream, it left me way too groggy in the morning to be practical. Everyone’s different so it’s definitely worth trying different things and medications. I hope your friend finds relief, it made such a difference to me once I started getting some proper sleep.

Becky x

As soon as I get into bed, my legs start to tingle and then get restless. Cooling them down seems to help temporarily but I never seem to be able to sleep continuously for more than 4 hours. For me, this isn’t enough. Does anyone have some recommendations: I have tried Gabapentin (didn’t work for me). I would prefer to try something not chemical if possible. Am not a good pill popper

Magnesium sorted the problem for me and is a useful mineral, so not likely to do any harm.

1 Like

I have (only recently) discovered that 10 mins a night with my feet on a vibration plate (I wheel up plonk my feet on it and ‘engage’ muscles) have helped my back spasms and RLS dramatically! I’ve struggled with it for about as long as I’ve had MS (30 years) long may it continue.

I should say that in that time I have tried Baclofen Gabapentin Calcium/Magnesium and then just Magnesium on it’s own and I’ve had no improvement whatsoever! (I’ve always been awkward old bat when it comes to drugs)

Elaine

I’ve had them for years. Iron deficiency is a very common cause of them so worth checking this? It worked a while for me but are back. It is neurological mind you so wouldn’t be surprised is ms related either