redundacy

Hi

i received the bad news yesterday that my job was at risk, and redundancy is a possibility(more like definitely) and i will be leaving my position end of Feb, although it is not good news, i think it is the push i needed as i have been dragging myself to and from work for some time now and neglecting my personnel wellbeing, i have read on another thread that it may be possible to apply for early retirement as MS covers the criteria(i have been diagnosed with PPMS) Does anyone out there have any info as to where i might start my enquiry, and if it is at all the case,

thanks for any help in advance

Dougie

Hello Dougie, it sounds as if you’ve reached a crossroads. It’s not bad that you’re trying to see the positives, in the situation. Have you spoken to HR or the Union, at work? This webpage may be useful too: Redundancy: your rights: Consultation - GOV.UK

The Citizens Advice bureau might be worth calling, as well.

Good luck.

thanks for the info i will have a look at these options

Hello,I have PPMS and was 48 when I applied to get my pension early,had a few forms to fill & doctors letter confirming the PPMS it took about two months.Took a bit of pressure of financially as I will be unlikely to work again as the MS has got worse the last two years.Pretty straightforward overall.

thanks for that, who do i apply to? my condition is deteriorating and i doubt if i will be able to continue working, and would probably find it hard to get employment, as my mobility is really bad, i will be 59 this year so age is not on my side either.

You should speak to your HR they will advise you on how to proceed. Do you know anyone who has received an early pension from your pension provider? They would be also be able to advise.

Best wishes

Jan x

Are you still working or are you on sick leave? I don’t think you would get medical retirement if you are still working.

hi Jan,

i am still working at the moment but am about to be made redundant, not sure if anyone else would take me on as my mobility and condition is getting worse all the time, i am going to start contacting the relevant people asap so all the advice i have been getting is good.

many thanks

Dougie

Hi Dougie, some things are meant to be. 59 isn’t exactly the ideal age to go job hunting but it’s the perfect age to retire, especially with PPMS. Your brain & body want and need to retire.

Are you sitting comfortably? The good news is you have choices… If you are chosen for redundancy, your pay out is based on your length of service and age. The longer your service & how many years to State Pension age are left, will determine the calculation of the payout. My knowledge is NOT up to date & some details may have changed. Even so, the basics are along the right lines.

Gov’t rules state a minimum redundancy (still based on service & age).

Some employers give a good redundancy package which exceeds the minimum that the law states.

90 days paid notice of redundancy has to be given. Some employers let you go early but still pay the equivalent of 90 days work. Others keep you working the 90 days but have to allow paid time off to go job hunting.

E.G: A healthy person aged 26 with 2 years service, will receive at least 1 weeks pay per year of service, hence a minimum of 2 wks salary.

A person aged 57 with 10 yrs service will receive 1.5 times their weekly salary x 10yrs PLUS the added half),.

A person aged 68 with 5 yrs service will receive double weekly pay x 5 yrs.

Many people are delighted when redundancy is very close to their Company pension scheme starting. If you have a Company pension with this employer (plus any deferred pensions with past employers), you can claim those too. This gives another tax free lump sum plus monthly income(s).

With PPMS you are entitled to Personal Independence Payments (PIP). It’s not automatic, you apply for the benefit and could receive monthly income based on your mobility and your care needs (each are separate).

Another possible benefit, is whatever Job Seekers Allowance is called nowadays. I have no idea of the criteria to qualify.

In a nutshell Dougie, in your position, it has to be a good thing for you to finish work.

The nature of PPMS means our health slowly deteriorates every day. Fortunately some things are totally unaffected. Other aspects are unnoticeable. It eventually dawned on me there is no stopping it. I left work in 2011 & never regretted it.

As for where you can obtain some info to your own situation, you could try the H.R dept plus the Company Pension Scheme provider. They’re each trained to give you correct info, though unlikely to advise what to do.

I hope this has helped a little Dougie. Good luck with your employer and look forward to having Summer and the rest of your life off work.

Take care

Chrissie

1 Like

Not all bad news.

Hi Chrissie,

Thank you for all your information,

Does my employer definitely have to give me 90 days notice? where could i get this confirmed,

i am trying to get my pension info from HR, but things seem to be a bit slow.

Thanks again

Dougie

I too have PPMS and over 30 years service with employer. Last year they made adjustments to my role. Went to a 3 day week based from home in a mainly home based role and on a reduced pay grade. After a long battle with company insurance trustees and management company I was granted ill health retirement and was allowed, as entitled, to continue working 3 days a week. I took a lump sum payment which cleared both mine and my wife’s liabilities and debts as well as helping to clear our mortgage. Having been in this company defined benefits pension scheme for 11 years before it was withdrawn I also get a small monthly income.

Following another massive battle this time with the DWP and their “health professionals”, which nearly caused me to have a breakdown, I was awarded what I was entitled to, Enhanced PIP Rates for both household living and mobility. I now have a small income which I have to do the best I can with. My wife and I have one child at home and 2 at University who to varying degrees all need financial support from us. It is not easy. These though are the hands that a “God” or whoever else has seen fit for whatever reason to deal me!!! It is not easy I will be honest.

Forward on a year and I’ve been now told by my employers that my 3 day role is up to be made redundant! Who will employ a 58 year old man with PPMS? How does a man with PPMS with failing mobility, hardly able to walk and no one around on a daily basis to help him him, manage to do the impossible and get to any Jobcentre to claim unemployment benefit, or whatever it’s now called, and then sign in regularly??

In my humble slowly diminishing opinion do not rely on apparent support for MS. There is sound advice out there but the real support we need is not really there. Lots of good sound bites but also lots of dead ends. The more you lose your faculties and abilities the more that you have to fight for any help. In particular with PPMS. Probably the most un researched type of MS with no real apparent desire to find a cure or treatment. When one is licensed, Ocrevus, the criteria for eligibility is so ridiculous and specific that only a few sufferers, probably those with money as usual, will get it. For the rest we are left to our own devices to sort of rot away with neurologists wiping their hands of patients with PPMS with the dreaded “nothing more I can do for you”. This means don’t want to waste anymore time with you so go away and suffer at home.

Sorry to be so negative but I’m a great believer of saying it as it truly is rather than continuously hide behind the faux “positive” banner which does have its uses sometimes! I guess what I’m saying is take now all the pensions and money sources that you can rather than wait for it.

Our disease will progress so use the money while you can. Don’t wait for neurologists and researches to find a miracle treatment for PPMS. If it’s any of the other types though you may be lucky as they seem to be the ones they are most interested in. Despite probably being at your lowest ebb with worsening physical and mental abilities you will be forced to fight harder than ever before for anything.

That’s MS support!