quinine

can anyone enlighten me as to why you shouldnt have quinine if you have ON? I have found a couple of tonic waters a night help me have a damned good pee with no retention. but after looking it up on net it says you shouldnt have quinine if you have ON, but no explanation as to why.

x

I drink tonic water every day, to get a quinine fix, it definitely helps to keep night time leg cramps to a minimum, for me.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is (ON). So cant help with that question.

Take care.

Chris R.

I. El. (Eng). (Rtd).

I know its going to be a bad day when I get out of bed and miss the floor.

[quote=“chris.r”]

I drink tonic water every day, to get a quinine fix, it definitely helps to keep night time leg cramps to a minimum, for me.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is (ON). So cant help with that question.

Take care.

Chris R.

I. El. (Eng). (Rtd).

[/quote] hi chris

ON is short for optic neuritis , which for me has reared its ugly head as loss of colour vision and loss of vision in general with the added bonus of double vision and bright lights really hurting my eyes.

x

Zelda.

Yes, sorry for being a dumb ass. As soon as I read your reply, the penny dropped with a big clang

I think I am very fortunate as I don’t suffer any eye problems, other than using specs. But started to lose hearing in my left ear, just had an hearing aid fitted. Bad move, as I don’t now have any excuse for not hearing, instructions from my long haired boss, (read wife).

Chris R.

I. El. (Eng). (Rtd).

i used to work with deaf children many years ago chris. so heres a few tips for you.

turn the volume off if ‘the boss’ is giving you ear ache or better still cover your eyes with your hands and turn the hearing aid off too and shout

’ i cant hear you!’

bless their little cotton socks.

x

Gosh I hope not! I have damaged optic nerves due to ON and I drink Tonic water everyday. I’ve found it doesn’t irritate my bladder, and my legs are still and calm,esp., at night whereas before I had terribly restless legs.

My eyes are’nt great but I haven’t noticed them getting worse or having ON more since I started drinking it everyday. I hope this makes sense, bit tired now.Be interested to see anymore replies,xxjo

I also have had several bouts of ON and have never been told not to drink it,so also keen to find out why.So sorry I cant help but hopefully someone will see a few of us need enlightenment.

Pip

hi broushka and pip, i think the artical i read was reffering to the dosage of quinine as given out for malaria . ive got no idea how much is in tonic water as it doesnt state on the labelling. it also states in another artical that quinine should not be bought over the counter to treat cramps as it can cause bleeding that can lead to death! i shouldnt imagine theres much in tonic water. im going to continue to have it every night cos it does clear my bladder out and im sure my legs arnt as jerky in bed. but i would still like to know why you shouldnt take it if you have ON.

X

I am biased against quinine.
My wife was put on it to help with nocturnal leg cramps, and within three days she was going around like a zombie.

To me, quinine is good against malaria, but otherwise the side effects make it a big No-No.

The amount in Tonic is minute, but it does seem to work for a lot of people - get a couple of dozen bottles in a cheap supermarket and try it. At least you will not have had enough to get to the point where you cannot stop taking it.

Geoff