Presents for MS sufferers

Hi everyone

I have a family member who is suffering from PPMS and, even though they’re very unsteady on their feet now, they’re stubbornly refusing to use a walking aid, despite the obvious benefits one would bring (a few falls have resulted in broken bones and other injuries).

I was hoping for Christmas to look at getting something more than just a plain old walking stick as a gift. Firstly to avoid offense but also if I could get something techy, maybe battery operated, the appeal of added independence coupled with the general coolness of gadgets might be enough to persuade this person to use it.

My problem is the usual online shops don’t have much and I’m at a loss as to where else I could look. Any advice would be greatly received.

1 Like

simple answer from me, don’t do it. Its the family members choice to make, not yours.

Charlie

1 Like

Sorry I have no shopping recommendations. From my own stubbornness I understand that despite the obvious rational benefit of a walking aid, it can be massively difficult to accept. When I was nudged towards getting one, I fought flipping hard , citing personal dignity and autonomy. When I finally worked stuff out for myself, I realised I could have saved vast amounts of grief for me and my family. All I can suggest is that you are supportive and communicative. The closest I came up with on the practical side is to install some well placed grab handles and be aware of furniture layouts to increase hand holds and reduce trip hazards. All the best Mick

1 Like

I saw this … HurryCane | Walking Sticks| Cavendish Health Care

Mick

2 Likes

What about a walking pole? www.walkingsticks.co.uk have some nice ones that don’t break the bank.

1 Like

Yes I’ve heard that walking poles are really good, as for me my walking stick is in the boot of my car and comes out more and more it helps me with my balance especially walking down steps that don’t have handrails. The best of luck with it all Neil

1 Like

Thanks for the replies everybody. I’ll have a look at what’s out there but, reading the replies, maybe it’ll be best to leave it. i don’t want to upset anyone, certainly not on christmas day!

2 Likes

I have 2 bling/fancy walking sticks with beautiful handles, great talking point with even able bodied folks. Now I have a ‘cool’ looking walker and pimp it up with streamers! It’s a slow (no pun intended maybe) realisation process that it makes sense but the process has to be their’s. I have PPMS and it ***** big time, I personally find humour helps but it’s not for everyone Wish you luck, M x

I’d agree with the don’t do it advice. There are great options, BUT its like buying shoes, its got to be tried BY THE PERSON USING IT. It is not a one size fits all jobbie, and differing types of aid will help differing ppl.

1 Like

Despite the falls and obduracy, I think it’s down to the person to accept it so I’d hang fire on a walking stick. It’s hard to see someone struggle but it may be the best way to approach it.

Best wishes.

4 Likes

I use a fold up walking pole, always carry it with me and using it more and more. I did have it hidden away for a year or so due to stubbornness and pride. I would agree not to buy one but showing some pictures about how discreet they can be in a bag might be an idea.