Possible Conditions?

In September 2017, I was diagnosed with a demyelinating CNS disease after the discovery of 3 white matter lesions. I have a range of other tests coming up including a scan on my spine. I had a lumbar puncture in October and the oligoclonal bands came back negative, which is extremely rare in patients with MS. Does anybody else know what other condition I could possibly have? Thanks for your help.

Hello

I’m sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but MS is still a possibility even after a negative LP.

Apparently, 80 to 95% of people with MS test positive for Oligoclonal bands in their CSF as discovered with an LP. But that leaves somewhere between 5 and 20% of people with MS who are negative for O bands.

Personally I don’t know of any other demyelinating CNS disease. That doesn’t mean there isn’t one. Maybe someone else can give you a better idea. Have you directly asked your neurologist? Or even your GP?

I assume you are still seeing a neurologist to have further tests lined up. I think asking him/her is your best plan of action. And if you don’t have an appointment scheduled, perhaps you can phone his/her secretary and ask for an appointment to be booked in. If the answer is no, then ask if you can email the secretary to have your questions put to the neurologist on your behalf.

All the best.

Sue

Thank you Sue, There has been some confusion along the way. My GP has given me sick notes with MS as the condition, but I have been told otherwise by the MS nurse and neurologist. He says it’s unkown at the moment, as annoying as that is. He just said MS is the most common, so I wondered what the others are. Hopefully the evoked potentials and further MRI give a clearer picture.