Forum

Please read Dignity on Dying pages to understand Debbie's choice

I’ve read several ill-informed angry, and/or I’ll informed posts on Debbie Purdie’s choice.

instead of blowing hot air why don’t people take the time to read the Dignity in Dying site (and it is proper reading time) to read through all the links the site gives you.

Debbie’s choice was a brave and considered one. One that would have actively involved her friends and family.

Choosing to die by refusing fluids is not easy, but neither is it capricious or selfish. It takes approx two weeks to die through voluntary de- hydration, quicker than refusing food. It’s a strong and admirable act for someone whose suffering is unbearable and it allows loved ones to know the approximate timing of death and to offer the support and love the dying person needs.

We will all die.

But death in our culture has become a no-no; feared and to be avoided at all costs. Yet we will all die.

12 Likes

Well said susi !

wishing you a very happy and healthy 2015. X

3 Likes

Debbie Purdy was neither strong, nor admirable.

Any newly dx’d person or the child of a recently dx’d person would have been frightened to see on National news bulletins someone whose life was so unbearable because of her M.S. that she was starving herself to death.

She portrayed herself as a victim of M.S. and ran a totally negative campaign about M.S. and sadly did more harm than good.

4 Likes

The less judgemental among us might be interested in this programme.

5 Likes

Hello susi

I read the dignity in dying site.

Debbie Purdy was a very brave woman, in my opinion

I admired her very much.

xx

3 Likes

We all know what it is like to be thirsty & not have a drink. Which is why I think this must be a terrible way to die and the fact that it is being forced onto people - either those who have no say or those who feel they have to choice but to do it voluntarily - is a disgusting indictment of our society today. It is nothing less than torture.

We all have to die and I for one do not want to have to put myself through such agonies because living is the worse alternative. I’m sure Debbie did not take this decision lightly, and I’m not sure its one that I would have the strength to make myself.

I would also say that everyone newly diagnosed is frightened - how could you not be? None of us know how this disease will progress - for the good or the bad.

Rest in peace Debbie, you earned it

JBK x

3 Likes

I think she had a right to die when she wanted. I think that some newly diagnosed people might be cheered by the thought that there was a way out if things got too awful. But that’s just a guess from me - I can’t say what newly diagnosed people would think, in general, and neither can anyone else.

4 Likes

just re-watched the Debbie Purdy video - nothing has changed my mind - wonderful women, sadly forced to make this very brave choice. I admired her very much and felt very sad, when she died.

3 Likes

Her body, her life, her choice, her right.

There are worse fates then death.

3 Likes

I am only recently diagnosed. However, I do think Debbie was a brave woman, as so many have said. I don’t think she would have taken this decision lightly.

Don’t know if I could ever do it, but it should be freedom of choice for the ‘right to die’, which has to be closely monitored (if the law ever changes).

I have watched my mam, dad and one of my best friends die slow and painful deaths from cancer, if I was ever in the situation where I had no quality of life and was unable to fend, even a little bit, for my self, it would be something I would seriously consider, I would not want my family to watch me disintergrate in front of their eyes and watch me in severe pain and helpless.

Everyone has their own opinion on this, but as Humbug said “her body, her life, her choice, her right”

2 Likes

Just saw this.

what a lot of stupid, bigoted crap.

shame on you.

5 Likes

P. S there was a great article about her in the Independent, sorry I have lost the link

Hi I’m newly dx well I think only got my dx last year so I think I still count as new! lol. And in that year I have stopped living almost cos I was scared I still am and I have come closes at least twice to taking my own life it’s all planned I know how! But after watching this brave woman fight for her and her husbands rights and seen how happy she was and how yes she was in a wheel chair and dependent on other people she still was happy and determined. She didn’t scare me as a newly dx member of this shitty disease club but helped me realise that right now my life is still worth living still worth fighting for but if ever I got to the point where I wanted to end it I can so watching this documentary has helped me and I’m happy Debbie is no longer suffering she is now free.

1 Like

[quote=“krakowian”]

Debbie Purdy was neither strong, nor admirable.

Any newly dx’d person or the child of a recently dx’d person would have been frightened to see on National news bulletins someone whose life was so unbearable because of her M.S. that she was starving herself to death.

She portrayed herself as a victim of M.S. and ran a totally negative campaign about M.S. and sadly did more harm than good.

[/quote] Absolute rubbish how can you say she wasn’t strong, she refused water for 2 weeks and why shouldn’t someone with sever MS be showen on national TV or do we have to stay in and only come out at night so we are not seen

She was a strong determind women who had come to term with her MS.

Ronin

3 Likes

Good grief!

Debbie Purdy was strong and admirable and yes, like most of us who have MS is a victim of a horrible disease, but trying to keep going.

Do you even have MS?

She was in the terminal stages of MS and that is about as horrible as life gets. She just wanted to end her life before she got to this point and she lost.

If you don’t have any sympathy for someone with pressure sores and pain and paralysis and incontinence and can only pour scorn, then maybe you rethink some of your values.

2 Likes

Hiya, we have a society which, in this country, has a right to free speech, we may agree, or disagree with a viewpoint, we will never really accept other views or choices but our own, as right, but this Debbie Purdey debate is, like her, dead, so let us mourn, or otherwise, enough is enough, and get on with other live healthier debates, Brian

1 Like

I thought the programme was really interesting, I didn’t watch it as a lady with ms but as a lady that was unhappy & in pain. She even said that she didn’t want to die but she didn’t want to live with the pain. It wasn’t a quick decision, she put a lot of thought into it. I don’t think anyone has the right to judge her, she made the decision for her & her family. We have to choose what is right for us, doesn’t matter what other people do.

1 Like

It was a very interesting programme. I do feel the hospice prolonged the process, simply by not being fully on board with Debbie’s wish to end her life.

Of course, I aso understand the legalities and how difficult the process is but she had always made her intentions clear. Should not have taken so long but there we are, she is at peace now.

A brave and inspiring lady. I will always remember her.

xx