please help!!

Hiya!! I am hoping somebody can point me in the right direction with an employment problem I,m having. I have had ms for twenty odd years and have the remissive type. I’ve worked for the same employer for 14 years. Recently I was taking to a stage three disciplinary meeting in which they were considering dismissing me because I have had a number of absences due to flare up of my symptoms. An occupational report was submitted stating that fatigue was a major factor with my condition. The response was ( and I quote) “well we all get knackered”. I have also now been forced to reduce my hours (which I didn’t want to do) in order to keep my job. I really need to seek advice but not sure where to start so any ideas would be hugely appreciated.

Sorry I don’t know but bumping this in the hope someone does. I think ms is covered by the Disability Discrimination Act so maybe there could be some redress there. How about contacting the Citizens Advice Bureau. If you are a union member maybe they could advise. Wishing you lots of luck X

I agree with evrything Flowerpot has said.

Also if you phone the ms society they wil put you in touch with the Disabled Law Service. I have used them and found them very useful!

Good luck

Freckles xx

Hi, I think folk without similar conditions to ours`, will NEVER understand the fatigue these deseases cause.

This tiredness is all consuming, totally brain fogging, making our bodies feel useless and all we would truly hope for is a few night`s sleep, without the spasms, stiffness, jerking movements and brains that fail to just let us sleep like babies.

When all this is at it`s worst, we wake with just one wish…to go back to sleep in peace and comfort.

But we know this just aint gonna happen, cos we have we have and it is what it is…an absolute ba######d!

Flowerpot and Freckles have given you good advice. I do hope you get somwhere with the work issue hun.

luv Pollx

As the others have said, get in touch with the Disability Law Service, who have a dedicated MS Legal Officer. You can get in touch direct via their web site - easily found - or via the MS Helpline.

Good luck

B x

[quote=“Bouncy”]

As the others have said, get in touch with the Disability Law Service, who have a dedicated MS Legal Officer. You can get in touch direct via their web site - easily found - or via the MS Helpline.

Good luck

B x

[/quote] All good advice i wish i had taken it someyrs ago!! js do it dude & gud luck Julien…

Have you seen occupational health? Were any recommendations made to make work easier (e.g more regular breaks) before the suggestion of part time?

You really need some legal advice - MS Society have to be your next stop.

Good luck. xx

Are you in a union at all? If so they should be supporting you with this. xx

I work in the NHS and my trust has a strict sickness monitoring policy. I am on and off the phases like a yoyo. I do get frustrated at each and every meeting with HR. The repetitive use of phrases like “we’re here to support you” and “the phases are designed to help”. I’m constantly being referred to occupational health. They can’t do anything. I have MS. If they can somehow wave a wand and fix that then brilliant. They can’t. The higher I go up the phases, the more I worry, the more I worry the worse I feel. Vicious cycle that they don’t seem to want to let me get off.

I suggest you follow the advice of everybody who has already spoken.

Sorry I haven’t offered any pearls of wisdom.

I seem to have just used your post to rant about the frustrations I feel.

People just don’t get it.