Please help - I’m really struggling….

I’ve posted here before and I’ve agreed to take Kesimpta but the hospital, delivery everything has taken months (yes I know NHS, very lucky and don’t dispute any of this) but the process started in May and I thought I’d be starting in summer. Now I’m unlikely to start before late September as I have an unrelated procedure to do first. With covid on the increase again, 2 young school age boys and a hectic London job I’m just not sure if now is the right time to start this? Should I defer until next spring/summer? After all it’s already going to be 4 months from when I agreed to when I eventually start. I don’t have relapses and my new lesions are ‘small and insignificant’ but do obviously show silent progression. I know every delay is a coin toss but should I be going into this at a time when a not normally dangerous infection, now, would become something that could put me in ICU? How careful do I need to be on this drug? Can I truly live a normal life? What modifications do I need to make? I know the drugs are important but my life is currently so unaffected by the MS that every delay makes me more and more reluctant to do this. I’m scared. I don’t want to die from an infection that otherwise wouldn’t have affected me. I don’t know what to do and I can’t talk to my husband as he’s made his feelings very clear in that he won’t live ‘under the spectre’ of covid again :cry:

1 Like

Hello,
The last time I caught Covid-19 was summer, last year, hardly influenza season; I wasn’t on treatment at that time.
I think it’s probably sensible to follow the Hands-Face-Space guidance, as I did hear the virus is on the up again.
Best regards,
JP

Thanks for your reply but my question really is quite specifically around being on treatment.

I think other than wrapping yourself up in cotton wool, there’s only so much you can do to keep you away from infection; possibly avoid crowds.
Best,
JP

If you’re going to do it (and I agree that you should), the best time to start is just as soon as you can. My guess is that once you start, you’ll feel that a weight has been lifted. Once you start, the waiting will be over, the what-should-I-do worrying will be over, you will be taking the fight to MS and doing your very best to preserve your health for your own and your family’s benefit. Hang tough, Teddybear. You’ll be fine.

5 Likes

Hello
So in four months the small children will be a bit older ? Will you still be working in London in four months? Will Covid be any less worse in four months?
Not sure what the difference will be. I have been on kesimpta for 6 months with two children aged 12 and 10. I work and go out and about as normal just a bit more careful than most people. Do what you can to look after yourself and not expect others to do it for you. I hot desk and clean everything before and after use.
Have had no real issues since being on it other than the tingling lip feeling suggesting cold sore onset but it never goes anywhere luckily.
So start it asap.
Best wishes

2 Likes

My advice would be to start treatment as soon as possible, as you will never know when a relapse will happen and how severe it will be. So treatment is there to reduce that risk.

I’ve been on Kesimpta for 18 months and I just get on with life as normal and so far I’ve not caught anything more than I used to.

Good luck with whatever you decide

3 Likes

Thanks for your reply but I’m not sure how I’d avoid crowds as have a full time job and work in the city. Have to commute. That also suggests not being able to lead a relatively normal life.

Thank you for your reply. I’m sure the delays are massively contributing to my over-thinking. I just don’t want my life to change or get seriously ill, in a world where otherwise I wouldn’t have

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. I hot desk too so that’s good advice. When you say you’re more careful? In what way? My boys are 6 and almost 9.

Thanks for your reply. I’m glad to hear you’ve carried on as normal. Does that include commuting etc? I’m hopeful of a good outcome but so anxious as I’m sure you can understand. I’d like to still be able to go to work gatherings etc. I just don’t know how realistic that is now. I’m feeling very down at the mo. I wish they’d just got on with it as the delays are causing anxiety.

Completely as normal. Since starting Kesimpta I’ve started working in adult social care, so come into contact with a lot of people daily and so far I’ve been fine. If someone has covid or something serious then I wear a mask, other than that no difference to life before.

I know when you start your journey you read a lot about immunosuppression and worry about how compromised, but you have your original immune system, so things you’ve come into contact before are still responded to.

I’m going to go on as normal until I find I can’t. So if I started getting infections then I will limit my exposure and up the distancing. But so far so good.

Good luck with your decision.

3 Likes

Thank you, that is truly helpful. Appreciate it.