Starting with Tysabri

So my plan was to start with Kesimpta. MS is being aggressive and it needs to be put under control quickly so my neurologist thought Tysabri was the better option and could be given to me quickly so that’s is what I chose.
I’m really happy with my decision but not really sure what to expect. I’m concerned about catching viruses and wondered what you do to help prevent them? With Christmas it’s a very social time, big family events and with children, lots of concerts and being out in cold weather. It’s the first time I’ve felt worried about being around people and out in public. I’ve had my first session and the side effects are fine so far. Any advice or thoughts?? :slightly_smiling_face:

I have been on Tysabri for 10+ years. During that time, I have not been aware of catching more infections than other people – the reverse if anything.

Tysabri has been a wonder drug for me, and my aggressive MS has been quiet for more than a decade. I hope that you find the same. Good luck with your treatment.

1 Like

Thank you. I’m pleased it works well for you, it gives me hope. Is there anything that you do to help prevent infections or is it just business as usual?

1 Like

Business-as-usual. The Covid thing made me extra-careful, of course, but that was as much to do with not wanting to miss an infusion as with avoiding catching the thing! Another bonus of Tysabri is that it does not blunt response to the Covid vaccine, which is a problem with some DMD.

2 Likes

Thank you, you have been very helpful and have put me a bit more at ease. It’s good to know it won’t affect the covid vaccine too. I’m having an injection every 4 weeks rather than the infusion, it will eventually mean shorter time in hospital.

1 Like

I’m only a few weeks ahead of you I think. Just had my second injection a week ago. So far so good.

Alison has made me feel a lot more comfortable about going about things as normal.

Jx

2 Likes

That’s good to hear, I’m pleased it’s going well so far. It’s encouraging to know there are others in a similar place to me.

1 Like