Please advise and Hello!

Hi. I have a 49 year old brother who is living on his own 2 hours away in London in a sheltered apartment complex. He has carers visit 3 times a day for very basic needs but they’re not allowed to even cut his nails. His condition has unfortunately worsened to the point where his only active hand is starting to fail. I have no idea how to go about finding suitable 24 hour care as his GP and consultant just suggest that I contact the other. Can anyone give me any advice please.

1 Like

Hi Helen

I am sorry you and your brother are in this situation and hope things improve for you both.

I wonder if it would help if you referred him to Adult social care for a new up to date assessment to see if anything else can be offered.

Wishing you both all the best for the future.

Pam x

I am sorry, I don’t know and just hope that others on here have useful suggestions for you.

Contact Social Services.
Ask for an assessment of his needs.
They should be able to assist.
Help will be means tested, but he may also be entitled to some funding.
So far as his nails go, no carers are permitted to carry out that kind of personal care. You might have to find a mobile foot health care professional who’d be willing to do fingers as well as toes (mine does)
If you don’t ask you’ll never know.
Don’t try to do this alone.
Good luck