Forum

PIP Tribunal - end of the road

Well I had my PIP tribunal yesterday, and I have to say that it was horrid. I must warn anybody who has to face one of those or is about to start a PIP claim just how horrible they are. I don’t want to put you off claiming - far from it - you should fight for what you are entitled to all the way to the tribunal if you have to. But do please go into it with big wide open eyes.

What my advice what be (that I didn’t do - and this may been slightly more complex for me than for some of you as I have Epilepsy and Borderline Personality Disorder as well) is to get an advocate/representative from the very start. Get someone experienced in the PIP process and get them to fill in the claim form with you. Make sure that they are able to go to every meeting with you, so hopefully that will only be the 1 medical (as hopefully you’ll be successful at this stage).

I got a representative for my tribunal which I think is the only reason that I was able to speak at all. They seem to HUGELY underestimate the impact of mental health problems, in fact they just seem to not understand or perhaps acknowledge them. That being said, whilst I lost my mobility component - lower level (which I wasn’t sure that I should of had anyhow), I did get the lower level of the daily living component.

I guess I just can’t quite belive that it’s all over. It was such a massive thing and just such a horrible thing to face, and it just took up all my energy and made me feel really lousy like I was somehow a fraud or should be coping better, yet really good for facing them as well as I did (if that makes any sense). Pfff…

Just try and save yourself the hassle by getting the forms thoroughly gone through from the start. Good luck to anyone who has one coming up - really, take a rep with you. I guess they have to put you through the ringer to know if you are telling the truth or not, but still.

Take care all,

Comet

Hi Comet, I’m sorry to hear you had an awful experience at your tribunal. I had an ESA appeal some time ago, but my experience wasn’t as bad as yours. However, like you, I had an advocate with me.

I actually did most of the talking myself and handled things pretty well, but the knowledge there was someone there on my side was very reassuring. If things had got difficult, if I had lost my bottle, made a mistake, or just been having a bad day, then she was there to help and, if need be, take over from me. We met twice before the appeal to discuss the case, and, of course, on the day of the hearing she witnessed the entire proceedings. It’s always good to have a witness.

I was fortunate - the doctor on the panel had a really good knowledge of MS, he listened to what I said, and I won the appeal. My argument centred on the fluctuating nature of the condition, which he completely understood. The clinician at ATOS had just wanted to know how things were on my very best days, and that was all, not on bad days, or anywhere-in-between days, and certainly not on fluctuating days, yet that’s most days!

So Comet, I entirely agree with you and urge others to always take along an advocate. People should contact CAB or their local MS Society branch to find what help is available in the local area. I was surprised how much there was! It makes all the difference.

Ben

1 Like
  • Hi, I am sorry to hear how awful and how much of an ordeal it was for you.
  • I have my transfer from DLA to PIP looming…no date as yet, but it will cause me concern when it happens, I know.
  • pollxx

Hi I haven’t a diagnosis yet it has been almost 10 yrs that I have gradually worsening symptoms,in 2013 I was re asessed for DLA and lost it I was lucky to have the help of welfare rights but even so after 3 years of appeals(several were cancelled and relisted I still lost it.The tribunal was an ordeal I was accused of lying told that I didn’t need sticks to walk with as I had bought my own I have been asking for help from the gp but have only now been seen by a physio.By the time it finished the DWP rep claimed my home was double the distance it actually is from the surgery and shop.It is so important to take someone with you for all meetings or medicals it is necessary to have a witness.One ATOS doctors actually said my reflexes were normal yet he hadn’t done them.Good luck to anyone going through the system,Sue

That`s awful Sue.

pollx

Know when mine comes. Will make sure I take their level of qualification, understanding and current treatment in dealing with MS. These people should be brought before Medical tribunals themselves, for maybe calling our Neuros lying about our condition to start with. Interfering in a field that they have no knowledge in. Everyman to his own job as they say. Seems like its a free for all our there. Are they not bringing the profession into disrepute?

GPs never overule the advice of a Consultant to start with. So how can these jumped up little S**ts do this? Stronger words I have but can`t use them here.