pilates/yoga advice

hey. Did my first ever pilates class this morning after being advised my ms nurse would help strenghten my muscles but my god i found it soooo hard…makes me realise just how weak my legs are. Does anyone else do these classes and can you advice that it might get easier over time and also what the difference is with pilates and yoga (im trying yoga tomorrow)and if it has helped your ms?

thanks

x

Hi there, I do a weekly yoga class and love it! I think the important thing is to make sure your teacher knows about your ms and about what you can manage to do. It takes a while for your body to get used to being in funny positions too. My teacher is happy for me to stop when I feel wobbly, as balance is a problem for me, but she is very encouraging and supportive which I hope your teacher is too. Good luck and I really hope you enjoy it x

I normally go to yoga once a week (having a break due to a relapse) and at first I did find it hard but I persevered with it and found it helped my legs a lot. To begin with I felt a fool as I struggled to hold the positions as I had no balance, no strength anywhere and my left arm had little feeling in it. Also if I have my eyes shut I cannot always tell where my arm or leg is so I have to have a peak when the instructor tells me to bring it back to a certain position! Anyway, despite all this, I do enjoy it and I got better with practice and found my arms and legs did build up some strength. My balance also improved a bit and even my neuro noticed it was better. (It also earns brownie points with him which can’t hurt!)

Give it a few weeks before you dismiss it as not being for you.

Tracey x

i was doing pilates and yoga several times a week and was feeling the benefit.

however i’ve developed low blood pressure if i bend down or look up so i cant do yoga or pilates because it could make me faint

i’m so annoyed with my blood pressure!

all really useful info thanks guys…im definately going to persist with it as anything that improves my fitness it a bonus and walking/running is outa the questions so guess this is the best next thing…I work from home atm so it kinda suits me to go during day so not to busy either so can explain to instructor my suitaion… Someone told me about some machine they have at the gym called a powerplate-does anyone no anything about this? have been told its good for ms patients? pigpen-sorry your blood pressure has stopped your pilates and yoga…maby in the future you will return :slight_smile:

thanks

coleenx

Yes - l have a power-plate machine - and yes again it is a good form of exercise for disabled use. The exercises l do are based on yoga/pilates - all designed to work all muscles especially the ‘core’ muscles. l had an appointment at the 'rehab and assessment clinic last week - and in the physio dept l notice they had a power-plate machine. They were originally designed for disabled folk to use but they work so well without putting any effort in that most of the large gyms have them. Apart from the chocolate vending machine they usually are the favourite.

l purchased mine about 6yrs ago from idealworldtv - it cost me £149 - l think you can get them cheaper now.

Yoga/pilates is brilliant for you - whatever your disability there is always something you can do - even sat in a chair.

F

thanks campion…all sounds good. mite try it out at gym one day. tbh the one good thing to come from having ms is im actually trying to do more exercise compared to before was diagonised…its funny when ur fit and healthy u dont have any idea whats its like not to be and take for granted so many things so not all bad having ms (positive thoughts) :slight_smile:

xx

thanks campion…all sounds good. mite try it out at gym one day. tbh the one good thing to come from having ms is im actually trying to do more exercise compared to before was diagonised…its funny when ur fit and healthy u dont have any idea whats its like not to be and take for granted so many things so not all bad having ms (positive thoughts) :slight_smile:

xx

Just make sure you find a good instructor. I had 2 who ran huge groups and found I did more damage than good in very little time as the instructors didn’t give that personal service that you get in a smaller group and keep an eye on you. Then I found a fabulous Pilates instructor who watched everything so carefully and was so knowledgeable and supportive, and I cam on in strength v quickly in about 6-8 weeks. My prob was my core strength…I had none and it was affecting everything else. But I’m much more evenly balanced now

Oh and power plates are fab. Unfortunately the gym I am at now doesn’t have them but they were fantastic (when you could get on them)! They make a big difference

TBH I gave up Pilates classes very quickly because the teacher seemed to think that my bad leg would work as well as my good one if i just tried harder! Doncha love people who claim to know about MS? I found it so dispiriting that I decided sod it.

But I have learned Pilates exercised from a physio and now am learning more from a neurophysio and have been doing them regularly at home for years and find them very helpful.

Alison

Hi I do pilates every week and it really helps with stress, balance and core stability. Highly recommend it. You do have to find the right teacher - can’t believe how bad some sound. Once you do, it’s fab! Good luck. A

I used to do yoga… I now do.Pilates and actually prefer Pilates. I feel its doing more. However I loved yoga at my old gym as the teacher was great and really used to do a good workout. However at my new gym the yoga class I went to, the teacher kept pointing out in front of the class my weakside so this really put me off. Ive done yoga for years so know my body. As it happens at the time I took that class I didnt realise I was in a relapse as such. I may try her again as the class itself was good but I’ll be having words with her. My advice is try both hun. At the moment I do prefer Pilates. X x x

Hi Rosex,

Met a pilates teacher at a party the other night. Told her I go to her gym and about my MS. She’s just started classes again. Suggested I went along on Monday. Can’t usually go as I work in a school, but it’s holiday time.

Googled MS and pilates and your thread came up - are you still doing pilates and has it helped?

Just booked it so wish me luck!

Jen

x