Forum

Painful shin

Hello everyone

I was wondering if anyone has the same pains that I get at night.

I have bad spasticity in my right leg which so far has not responded to any medication. This causes very acute pain in my shin at night. I have tried paracetamol and cocodamol but these do not help. Every night these pains wake me up about avery 30 minutes. Stretching my leg releives the pain enough so that I can go back to sleep. But only for about 30 minutes when the pain returns and I have to repeat the streches. By morning I am exhausted and feel as if I have not slept. This has been happening for about 6 months and I wonder if I will ever have a good night’s sleep again.

Carol

When you say it doesn’t respond to medication, do you include things like baclofen? If you do, then I’m afraid I have no idea other than a friend’s GP’s recommendation of bananas and mushrooms to help her spasms, but I can’t imagine that they are terribly effective for bad spasms :frowning:

Karen x

Hi Karen - thank you for your reply.

I have tried baclofen, gabapentiin, tizinadine and clonazepam. I had to stop all these either due to side effects or not helping. I am waiting to have botox treatment to my bladder and hope then to increase the baclofen. My nuero has applied to the PCT to prescribe sativex but I do not see him until Jan 2013. Meanwhile I think I will try dietary changes as your friend’s GP suggested.

Carol