Overseas holiday advice please

Hello,

I am new here and was looking for some advice.

My BF and I are going to Barcelona next month, it is our first holiday abroad in some years.

He has PPMS and I wanted any advice on places that may be suitable to visit/see/eat at etc. He uses a stick and tires easily so I don’t want to plan anything too ambitious, but want us to have a great time.

I posted in the PPMS forum and was advised to try here also.

Thanks everyone.

hi rocket

this early in the year the temperature won’t be too high which is good.

consider hiring a scooter in barcelona which will help him to enjoy the sights without being wiped out by fatigue.

tell the airline that your husband has a chronic illness.

they should arrange for you to get through booking in without too much waiting around.

enjoy yourselves and get that vitamin D.

carole x

Travelling by aircraft seems a daunting experience for anyone Disabled in wheelchair or not, but in reality it isn’t it can be a seamless experience as you are helped every step of the way, (that’s not meant as a pun).

I worked for British Airways for 26 years, as such travelled to many parts of the World. In fact in 1988 I travelled twice around the World, some 48,000 miles in 5 days on aircraft, sponsored for Charity. Not something I would recommend but shows you it is possible.

Stick to these guidelines and you will really enjoy the experience. First on booking your flight tell them you would like assistance from check-in to the gate. This could be a wheelchair with someone pushing or a lift on a Golf type buggy. The gate could be over one mile away so don’t think your doing any favour’s by not asking for help. The aircraft has a certain slot for take off, if you are late because of walking difficulties, THE AIRCRAFT HAS TO GO without you, otherwise it costs mega bucks.

If you have problems walking down the isle when you get aircraft side, no problem, quite a few aircraft now have small wheelchairs especially to take people up and down the isle. If you can’t walk whatsoever, no problem, tell them and facilities will be put in place from check-in to take you to the aircraft by ambulance, high lift you to the aircraft and trained medical staff to lift you in the seat. The golden rule here is ‘tell them.’

With some airlines you can pre-book your seat. If so get one that has more leg room and near the toilets, probably a bulkhead seat. The Civil Aviation Authority has made a ruling that no Disabled person can have a seat by an Emergency Exit for obvious reasons.

If for some reason you get to your destination and your wheelchair is missing or worse still damaged it is the airlines, or should I say good airlines signed up to something called the Haig Protocol to restore or repair your chair, see the airlines staff.

I remember I went to San Diego from Gatwick once and they left my chair behind. I was in a rush had to go down to Tijuana and the only one they had to loan me had a large sign above my head saying ‘AVIS Rent a Car.’ The times I was stopped in my Hotel by people saying “hey fella, where can I get a car.”

Have a good time, don’t worry as far as flying is concerned you will be looked after.

Don’t forget your EHIC card if your going to any EEC Country Applying for healthcare cover abroad (GHIC and EHIC) - NHS

George

1 Like

Jersey is nice; Seychelles; Portugal different heat in these places; not humid which to us is a killer.

as george says get a scooter or a walker especially the one you can sit on , also go for nice coffees and sit and enjoy the view also the airlines are good the last one i went i didn’t ask for assistance but as soon as they seen my walker they said we are already geared up for others so use our services , they are more than able to deal with it ,take the time at your boyfriend’s rate and you will be fine , again speaking from experience I get more done at my rate rather than hubby’s enjoy the rabblers lovely city

trish

I went to Barcelona a few years ago and we hired a bicycle rickshaw for a tour. It was perfect for me so we could see lots of places without having to walk. Sadly, I wouldn’t be able to do it now as I am a wheelchair user so my long suffering husband has to push me about.

Sue

Hi, I and a carer are going to Barcelona in September! It will be my first trip abroad as a wheelchair user. I think it would be a good idea for your friend to hire a wheelie or scooter. I did google tours and found private ones by accessible transport too costly. Then I found a free one. It is suitable for slow walkers/ wheelie users. It last 2.5 hours. I booked it online and printed off my ticket.

Look forward to reading how it went.

Enjoy!!

Pollx

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

I saw they do bicycle tours and they looked like a good option, they showed those on the “Travel Man” show this week on C4.

I will report back and am very grateful for all the advice.

Thanks, George.

You have given me lots of useful tips and I am very grateful.

Thank you : ) .