Optic Neuritis and Neuro appointment

Hi all,I hope you won’t mind me posting here.

I was diagnosed two weeks ago as having Optic Neuritis. My left eye has very patchy vision at the moment with colour blindness and washed out colours. It was very painful, but, thankfully, it no longer hurts.

I have been reading about Optic Neuritis and its causes which has inevitably brought me here. My doctor has done some blood tests (half the results are back and are clear) and I have an appointment with a neurologist on 25th November.

Obviously I don’t necessarily think I have MS, I am just a bit nervous about this whole thing. I generally feel in good health although am often tired (but not unmanageably so) and I have an occasional numb patch under my right shoulder blade. I also get a buzzing sensation in my legs as if a phone is vibrating on the floor and the sensation has travelled up. I’ve never really thought much of these things as I just thought it was an oddity. Which obviously they could still be.

I’ve seen some posts about 1st neuro appointment and they’ve been very helpful to me. I just wondered if anyone out there had been in a similar position to me and whether anyone could offer any advice as to what I should ask for from my GP/Neuro, if anything. Do you think the neuro will send me for an MRI or, as it’s the first time this has happened, will he likely take a wait and see approach?

Sorry if these are the kinds of questions that aren’t really answerable at this stage. This has all just fallen on me like a ton of bricks and I’m worrying.

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone is able to give me.

Hi Pandagal

Its understandable that you’re worried at the moment thankfully you don’t have long to wait to see the neuro.

I expect you will be given a neurological exam and then be referred for an MRI which is pretty standard procedure. You may also be offered a Lumbar Puncture, but the jury’s out on whether or not that is necessary for diagnosis anymore, and although they are generally not as problematic as they used to be, some people still find them unpleasant.

Also, neurologists can be a funny breed. Not a lot of bedside manner most of them, so be prepared! They aren’t all ogres though. Mine’s wierd, but actually quite sweet!

Try not to worry too much in the meantime. Make a note of anything new, or any major worries, and take someone with you if you can for a bit of moral support, and an extra pair of ears! xx

Hi Hunny,

Thank you for your reply. It’s good to know that I’m not just being silly and worrying over nothing. It’s also good to know that they’re a ‘funny breed’ at times. I feel that little bit more prepared now :slight_smile:

In the meantime, I will write a brief list of any symptoms and/or questions. Unfortunately my husband is in China on business when I have my appointment, but my Mum will probably come with me instead. If anything just so we have a better chance between us of remembering everything that’s said!

xxx