Opinion

My wife is due to have a MRI of the head and spine on tuesday, I have to admit that I’m increasing sure that we are looking a MS but I would like an opinion. It’s only recently that this puzzle of symptoms has started to make sense. For many years now Mandy has complained of constant fatigue and it does not seem to improve even with extended periods of sleep. For several months now she has been complaining of numbness and tingling in her left arm and leg.

Prior to this, over the last six months we had been pre-occupied with chest pains as well which was initially considered to be a cardiac problem. However several visits to casualty and tests at Papworth nobody has found any problems with Mandy’s heart. Prior to that she had her gall bladder removed due to a constant pain in that area. The consultant said it appeared to be ok but could not think what else the pain could be from.

I am wondering in retrospect if this could have been “MS Hug”

She has seen a Neurologist once now and he did some basic reflex tests which were ok, but there was some weakness on the left side.

Ever since we have been married (25 years) I’ve commented that Mandy seems to walk slowly when we are out shopping.

I know we have only to wait until Tuesday (or soon after) to get more information, but I’m curious - do any of these symtoms correspond with anyone else’s experience

Hello and welcome :slight_smile:

Neurology is a complicated business because there are literally hundreds of conditions that cause very similar symptoms. That means that while your wife’s symptoms are found in MS, it could easily be something else. Unfortunately, working out what’s going on can take a while and although your wife’s MRI is on Tuesday, the results may not be terribly quick and there may be more tests and waiting times for follow up appointments - so be prepared for a bit of a long haul :frowning:

With any luck it will turn out to be quite quick instead!

Karen x

It’s all happening on Tuesday; that’s when I’ve got my lumbar puncture, oh joy.

Regarding your wife’s walking it does mirror what’s happened to me. I used to be very sporty/athletic and was known for my very swift walking, people always telling me to slow down etc. But now, over the past 5 years or so, my walking has got so much slower to the extent that I can’t keep with my kids and have to stop and let people pass in shops, on the high street or pavements. I like to think it’s called growing old gracefully, but I’m only 42! I also have tingling down my left side, and am keeping my wife at night with constant leg twitching.

Good luck this Tuesday, stay strong. You guys are not alone. BTW, what is an ‘MS Hug’? (I’m assuming it’s some soppy gesture given by health professionals when they ‘suspect’ MS but really have no clear idea?).

Thanks for your replys. MS Hug - The MS Hug: Understanding Girdle-Band Pain

From what I’ve found seems to effect people by giving them a tightness around the chest - some have likened it to a heart attack - hence my link to Mandy who has had these kinds of pains - but apparently there is nothing wrong with it.

I will let you know how we get on as soon as we have news.

Thanks again

Dave

I should have also mentioned that I’m interested in the auto-imune problems associated with MS as I have suffered with Ankolysing Spondulytis and although I’ve not had it flare up in over 10 years, it has come back with a vengence in the last few months. I have been looking on the internet to see if the many theories relating to both MS and AS being triggered by a virus could explain both Mandy’s and my own status at the moment. AS basically makes you feel achey and tired all the time which specific pain in the lower back. Again it’s the bodys own imune system going cranky which causes the pain. If Mandy does turn out to have MS then I can’t help wonder if the timing is just a coincidence.

So much to read up on, so many theories, you could spend years reading up on this.

Dave

The Epstein Barr virus has been linked to MS, but it is only one of several factors and it isn’t immediately followed by MS symptoms - it’s a slower process. The whole virus/immune system/genetics/vitamin D thing is very complex and I don’t really understand it well enough to explain it, but I don’t believe that a recent virus would have triggered MS and an AS flare. MS-like symptoms can be caused by a virus (eg google ADEM). These are one off attacks that do not develop into MS though. Kx

Hello my name is julie my husband suffers another autoimmune problem uveitis it is the eyes he was diagnosed with ms february 2013 after many years of steriod tablets to try to control the uveitis.My husband has lost central vision in both eyes for 2 yrs or more he is registered as partially sighted and is on waiting list for guide dog. xx jue

Hello my name is julie my husband suffers another autoimmune problem uveitis it is the eyes he was diagnosed with ms february 2013 after many years of steriod tablets to try to control the uveitis.My husband has lost central vision in both eyes for 2 yrs or more he is registered as partially sighted and is on waiting list for guide dog. xx jue

Optic neuritis is the visual symptom that most people associate with MS, but uveitis is also fairly common.

Kx