Off work.

Hi, I have recently been diagnosed with CIS transverse myelitis. I wonder if you could give me some advice. I work for the NHS, however have only been in my current job for just under 2 years. I have been off work for 3 months and my pay has just been cut to SSP which is £85 a week. I am awaiting a further MRI and am extremely anxious with ongoing symptoms of burning pins and needles and balance problems. My neuro and G.P feel it would be best for me to have these symptoms under control before I go back to work but I am now really worried about money. Basically , would you know if I can claim any benefits whilst being on SSP?.

Thanks a million.


Working from the NHS can you not go to Occ Health for some help/advice?

Hi Poppy, probably will check with them tomorrow but just wondered if any one had any other advice. Thanks

I have no idea whether different NHS organisations have different rules, but where I work once you’ve been employed in your role for over 12 months you are entitled to six months sick on full pay. Between 6 and 12 months it goes down to half pay. After that you’re probably out or on SSP.

Definitely get OH involved. Union if you’re in one…if only to keep them in the loop. Double check the trust policies and see what it says about sickness absence.

it used to be employment support allowance that you could claim but all the benefits have been changd.

see someone from welfare rights or CAB

carole x

Thanks for the advice folks, really appreciate it.