Off-road Scooters

Is anyone able to offer experience of Off Road Mobility Scooters. I am an outdoors lover and have now reached the stage of requiring a scooter to enable me to keep up my exploration of RHS and NT etc locations. Ideally I would like to purchase a relatively lightweight model that is safe on uneven ground. My weight is 91 kg and if possible a model that could be dismantled for loading into a car boot would be ideal. I still have reasonable upper body strength.

Many NT properties have mobility scooter to loan and Country Side Mobility in the South West https://countrysidemobility.org/ and the allied Lake District (with Yorkshire) Mobility are membership schemes that give access https://www.lakedistrictmobility.org/

These give you an opportunity to see how you gat on off road. I have a supascoota sports which was the best I could find to fit in the boot of a smallish car but it is nowhere near as safe and capable as the big ones in these schemes.

Many thanks for that crd. My experience of the RHS at Wisley is that they only have a couple of powered scooters and they are usually booked well in advance. Also I haven’t noticed any powered scooters at our local NT properties, although there may be some so I will look into that. Ideally I am looking to have one of my own to take with me to also use at other garden locations and municipal areas. Your experience though is much appreciated. I trust members of the MS Society more than commercial salesmen!

The larger outdoor properties are more likely to have scooters. If you look up their accessibility statement it usually covers this and there is a symbol in their annual guide.

When away from home I make most use of them and am normally OK booking a day in advance. Other places that have been well organised is Westonbirt Arboretum and Yorkshire Sculpture Park.

Trampers are the usual vehicle and you feel invincible. It would be nice to turn up and go but it is usually best to plan.

Thanks again crd. I will try out one of the larger NT locations and see how I manage. Ultimately I may well need my own dual purpose scooter for off-road and around town, but my fingers are crossed that it won’t be anytime soon.

Only thing to add: if you do buy you don’t have to use it all the time.

Most of the time I use an all terrain rollator, but I sometimes use crutches. In both cases you are maintaining weight bearing and making the legs work.

I bought the scooter after only being able to see a small fraction of an open air museum. Now Lidl is rollator, Morrison’s merits the scooter.

I actually bought the scooter before the rollator and the rollator is much easier to put in the car or take on the bus/train.

Adapt to keep active and involved pick the best tool for the job.

I use hiking poles for walking any distance or on uneven ground. However, as you will have gathered my “any distance” has now become “short distance” hence the reluctant desire to finally give in to a powered chair. On my next visit to a destination that has chairs to hire then I will give one a try in the hope that it will give me a better idea of my options. From my research so far buying a good off roader at the price of a small car is not something that I can stomach :worried:.

Hiya Jayelle I have a Whill C and whilst it’s very nimble and fairly comfy there is no suspension so maybe not the best for outdoor trekking - I have had mine for about 3 years now and the reason I bought it is that it dismantles very easily into just 3 parts (it’s a lithium battery too so quite light) and fits into the boot well. (Says husband anyway) :smile: Unfortunately there isn’t a machine that does ALL jobs well is there? Happy hunting :wink: Elaine x

Many thanks Elaine for letting me know about your experience. As it’s too blooming cold at the moment to go scootering I am researching online the various options and developing a headache with all the various models available. It does though appear to be the case that several different brands are probably made by the same manufacturer, but with slightly different minor specifications. I will now take advantage of trying hire vehicles at local NT properties etc to get a better idea of what I really need in order to keep me happy. I can then go and talk, with some knowledge, to salesmen and try out their stock before buying. Thanks again for your helpful reply. Jeff

1 Like

I hear what you’re saying, I’m at this moment researching (and getting a headache) into a new indoor powerchair for me - it must be compact and it needs to have a seat lift now :crazy_face: Ooh my brain hurts…I’ve been very brave and I’m having 2 ex demo machines brought for me to try out tomorrow! - wish me luck! :innocent: :rofl: Elaine :roll_eyes:

I do indeed wish you luck Elaine. Hopefully they will come up with the perfect solution to your needs. Fingers crossed. Jeff

1 Like