Ocrevus and HRT?

Hi there, haven’t logged in for some time but been meaning to! One of the big questions at the moment is HRT, as I am 50 and going through the menopause. I am on Ocrevus for RRMS since diagnosis a few years ago. Twice I have asked the GP for HRT and been refused. Should I ask again?! I have been prescribed the supplement Menopace which is all very well but it’s not hormones.

Time to walk the dog whilst it’s dry!

58, been on HRT for a few years. I take the HRT for 3 reasons: to deal with the menopause symptoms; to avoid potentially stirring up the MS with hormonal mayhem; and to protect my bones from the steep loss of oestrogen. The first is the ‘official’ reason to prescribe HRT, and the other two are my private views which are not, as far as I am aware, supported by any strong evidence base, but which make sense to me. I fall over a bit, and my bones need all the help they can get.

TBH, I would rather be on patches than pills (less risky), but the patches are hard to come by, the GP says. It might be different where you are. I’m sure you are aware of and understand the reasons why the GP is reluctant to prescribe. Maybe seen a second opinion if you don’t don’t accept the GP’s reasoning?

Alison

1 Like

What are the doctor’s reasons for refusing? Is it to do with your MS treatment or is it other risk factors? High blood-pressure, risk of blood clots, risk of breast cancer etc?

Also they are only supposed to be allowed to prescribe HRT for hot flushes, despite hot flushes being only one of many distressing menopause symptoms. So you have to stress the hot flushes.

HRT (well, oestrogen) is well-known to help some women with their neurological symptoms, and has neuroprotective properties. Many neurologists will admit this.

I’m on HRT (but not on a DMD) and get an oestrogen gel and a progesterone capsule, both bioidentical, and available through the NHS. I did my research beforehand as I guessed (correctly) that my GP would only know the most regularly prescribed combined (which are not bioidentical). She looked up what I suggested and was quite OK with it, and they weren’t any more expensive to the NHS than the heavily prescribed type. What I use is what has been used for decades in France and most of Europe, with a very good safety record.

1 Like

I had a surgical menopause when i was very young. back then there was no HRT. I have NEVER taken HRT. I went through hell and back for a year believe me.

I did do some research and ate good stuff, my doctor told me like loosing sight when you loose one thing another part of your body compensates and will take over.

well can I report to you @VintageMrs I am now 70, my bones are fine, i have great calcuim levels. I even have shhhhhhhh sexual drive lol. (In my head). I do not get all the usual stuff with aging and menopause. I used to get regularly hormone checks but over the years they were all good.

My mum had full hysterectomy at 30, and was 93 when she passed away with a heart issue.

Look up menopuase and natural products there are a load out there. BEFORE HRT we all managed.

I often wonder if its truly that necessary or if its just a hype by pharma.

i AM glad i never took HRT. my sister was on it 15 years and is older then me, and yet i have faired better then her lol. she has had double masectomy and the start of osteopena.

I eat really well, low carb, very low sugar, loads of greens (think i am a rabbit) spinach, lots of fortified milks i love KOKO milk it is fortified with B12 and vitimin D and calcuim. I eat a lot of things with calcium and vitimin D, also my levels are good.

Oh yes i have a calci chew too for good measure lol.

what i am saying is the doctor is saying NO for a reason. You can get through it on your own and doing the research and finding things which suit you. Like i said this is truthful, I have NEVER TAKEN HRT. I am 70 years old.

That was taken in april. My friends say how come your skin is so good? Water my friends, lots of it, internally and out lol hydrate. xxxx WHATS UP DOC lol.

1 Like

Hi Alison thanks for replying, yes I will seek a second opinion, I know the risk factors but think HRT has benefits as well, and yes protecting your bones is a good idea, I already have osteoporosis!

1 Like

Hi Ziola thanks for your reply, yes as soon as I said about HRT on my phone consultation the GP said about all the side effects like breast cancer etc, didn’t mention any positive effects yet alone helping the menopause symptoms! I will try and get a second opinion, or writing as I am deaf and don’t manage to get my voice heard on the phone by the time the GP has decided what’s going to be done…

Hi Crazy_Chick, thanks for your reply, and you look amazing for your age! You are obviously doing the right things, I need to improve my diet. I will definitely do my research.

I thought you might like to read the Royal Osteoporosis Society’s position statement on HRT and bone health. Also, you might consider recruiting your neurologist to your campaign - they tend to be a bit more switched on about the fracture risk in menopausal MS patients than are the more (ahem) stick-in-the-mud style of GP.
https://theros.org.uk/information-and-support/osteoporosis/treatment/hormone-replacement-therapy/
Alison

thanks for link @alison100 going to send it my friend.

1 Like