No celebrations

Hmmm. I see your logic, but not sure it applies here. This all took place some time ago, so the children (both of them) have now been at school several years. I don’t think it’s a C of E school, and even if it were, don’t the parents have to do a bit more than just provide proof of a church marriage, and that the offspring were christened - one even with a religious name? Such as actually turn up at regular services, not just their wedding day and the christenings?

I think the wedding was all about the fancy frock and everything “looking” traditional (regardless what anyone believed). And the name? I think they thought it would be fashionably middle-class, but obviously didn’t even take the precaution of a quick Google, to check it didn’t have any inappropriate (from their point of view) connotations. Or can it really be that they knowingly named their child after a god they don’t believe in? I don’t know which explanation is worse - ignorance or grandiosity.

I suppose the poor kid could have been called “Zeus”.

Tina

I actually wish we had a Thanks Giving day like the Americans, instead of Christmas now. Just to thank god we have our family who can still be with us, and have a lovely day together just loving each other and perhaps sharing a gift of thanks.

I HATE Christmas not for the reasons behind it, which have so gotten forgotten by most of the masses but because of the greed, and hatred and arguments it brings to many households every year.

I know of more families who end up broke, break up, argue with their family at this time then any other.

I see on facebook people going on about how they have spent HOURS wrapping presents I mean seriously. HOURS. Are they mad spending all the money for what.

Most of the presents get opened, tossed aside and then another one opened and tossed aside. If you go on Ebay come January its full of unwanted presents, and a lot of car boots are too.

I cut right back this year. I am 64 my hubby 70. We cant afford to spend loads of money on selfish grandchildren lol, so i have bought them a 10.00 premium bond. That way they cant spend the money on fags or cannabis. (Yes they smoke and they are only 16 and yes they use cannabis, you can buy it like sweets now anywhere and dont be fooled into thinking omg my grandchildren wouldnt do that…lol). My youngest is 12, and oldest is 24. (My great grandchildren we dont see on my husbands side).

Every year I either had my family to my home, and be left with all the dishes and mess, or I took them out for 2 years at a huge expense just so we could all be together on one special day.

What changed me, was last year, my eldest daughter had a special xmas even party and invited all her friends and family it was all over facebook. That family included my younger daughter and her two kids, who only live around the corner from me. She was COLLECTED by my SIL and enjoyed an evening at the party. My husband and I were not invited.

The next day they all came here and we went off to the restaurant to have our xmas lunch and drinks i had paid for, and they were soooo TIRED, because they had enjoyed themselves the night before, they hardly spoke, and when we all went back to my house for port and cheese etc, they went by 3pm.

I realised then that they were just selfish and I was never going to spend my money on this lot again. I sound bitter perhaps and a tad cynical but feel i have just cause to be so. For example my daughters birthday was 9th December and I found out by accident that both daughters and a few friends had organised to go out for lunch for her birthday, I was not invited. I was only invited after i found out about it.

Now over the years i have spent thousand of pounds on my children, and my grandkids, for various reasons and have enjoyed doing so, but that one act last year of exclusion, made me realise how selfish my family were.

So now its just me an mine. Me and my hubby who is seriously ill right now, and my own family, brothers and sisters and mum, we all met up on the 20th for a brunch and had a lovely time together. Thats what it is all about. Being with the family you love, not spending loads of money on IPADS, tablets etc, xboxes and going into debt.

Just enjoying the love of family, with no need of presents.

I am going to have a lovely day with my hubby it could be our last xmas together i dont know. But i have my bit of ham, and turkey roll, and some brussels he likes, and our dog, and his son David is coming who has supported us both for many a year, and we will enjoy some time together quietly.

Christmas is about a birth of a child, and family. I am celebrating today with my family, we have not bought each other gifts as we have all we need anyway we have each other.

Merry Christmas, and yes bah humbug lol…

Goldengirl63,

I don’t fancy any more American commercial stuff in my life. Spending time with loved ones doing what you like is what floats my boat, so we all went for a walk / scoot in a deer park while there was a gale and horizontal rain followed by chilli pasta or burgers in a local cafe. A lovely noisy happy time was had by all. No one gives a damn about prezzies or wrapping. I hope you have a good day.

All the best Mick

2 Likes

We had a lovely quiet day. My step son came to see his dad, and he put himself a plate of food up and he chatted for hours with his dad, which was such a boost for him. He is a very caring young man, and I am privileged to him in my life too. He made sure we were ok, and even did all the dishes that we had.

It was just a lovely day no stress, no hassle. Bliss.

Glad you too had a lovely day with family Mick, my idea of a good day too, just being with family without all the need for the expense. Its all over now. But sadly for a lot of people its just the beginning of paying for it all. x

The CofE school I teach at has an over 40% Muslim intake plus a smattering of Hindus and Sikhs. Can’t imagine their parents regularly attending a Sunday church service! They all choose the school because it has a religious ethos and everybody gets on well - we got ‘outstanding’ for our diocesan inspection - the inspector said they should hold the middle east peace talks at our school!!

Everyone celebrates Christmas and our assemblies acknowledge the major festivals of other faiths too - and the existence of those with no faith. I wish we knew how to get the message across to the rest of the world that getting along with each other can be done…

2 Likes