Newbie very fed up!!

Hi evryone,

My first post and need some help. For the last 18 months I have had what my GP said was fibromyalgia although never had proper diagnosis. Now on huge amount of pain killers and when I went for my blue badge the doctor told me to ask my gp for a referal to a neurologist as my symptoms were very similar to MS. My gp says that he knows me and this other dr didnt so no referal.

I have just changed my dr today so seeing a new on Friday. It is all really getting to me hence bursting into tears at the surgery today. My balance is getting worse by the day and things just p falling out of my hands and waling into people and things all the time and the pain in my back and hips are unbearable ven with nefopan and gabopentin.

I’m sorry for gabbling but I am at the nd of my tether.

Jane x

Helllo and welcome Jane, So sorry to hear your doc’ is not taking you seriously, was a good idea to change. When you see your new doc’ tell him of your symptoms and ask if he would refer you to a neuro. Do let us know how you get on. Janet x

Hi Jane and welcome to the forum…

What a rotten time you’ve been having!!! No wonder you’re feeling so down.

It’s really good that you are seeing a new doctor on Friday. Make a list of your symptoms… but don’t make it too long or detailed… doctor’s hate that and think it’s a sign of health anxiety.

Just list your main symptoms and explain how they are worrying you. Tell the doctor what the blue badge doctor has said… but don’t say you have been on the internet looking at symptoms or have been on this forum. Again, it’s something that doctor’s hate.

If you can, take someone with you who can help to back you up and say how concerned you are… partner, mother, friend or anyone… but if you have to go on your own don’t worry. Just explain your symptoms. Don’t worry if you get upset and start crying. It’s perfectly normal given your situation and the doctor will understand.

What you are of course aiming for is a referral to a neurologist… so IF by chance the new doctor won’t do a referal, come back on here for a Plan B!

There are so many conditions that can cause similar symptoms to MS so for now, keep an open mind. It might not be MS at all… and many of the other conditions are very easily treated.

IF it does turn out to be MS, it really is NOT the end of the world. It is NOT a terminal illness. There are good treatments and new ones coming along all the time AND for the first time in history they are talking about a cure in the not too distant future!

Most people with MS live fairly normal lives… work, relationships, babies, travel, etc etc. Even if MS has more of an impact on our lives, we can still live a happy and full life.

I hope you get that referal… but if not, as I said, come back for more advice.

All the best,

Pat x

Thank you so much Pat! There is so much going on in my head at the moment and I just want to know what is wrong!! This has gone on for so long and the symptoms are just getting worse and just giving me more pain killers is not the answer.

I have written a list. Hopefully he will listen!

Jane X

Thank you so much Pat! There is so much going on in my head at the moment and I just want to know what is wrong!! This has gone on for so long and the symptoms are just getting worse and just giving me more pain killers is not the answer.

I have written a list. Hopefully he will listen!

Jane X

Hi, hope the appointment with the new GP brings a referral. Obviously something`s going wrong and needs to be sorted, if poss.

You did the right thing changing docs.

luv Pollx

Sorry I seem to have posted this twice!!

Jane xx