NEW INFORMATION ABOUT EBV IN MS PATIENTS

Just had this pop up on my wall as I subscribe to MS news today its quite exciting in a way as I know when i started my journey i had tons of blood tests done and one of them found i had a past infection of the EBV (Epstein Barr Virus), but it was showig up as >95 the doctor i saw at Breakspeare said it should only be <5 in a past infection.

Now research is showing a more positive link between patients having MS and having had the EBV.

I wonder if it will help research better but i do know quite a few MSERS who have had EBV.

Yep, I had glandular fever in 2001. I’ve never known tiredness well actually exhaustion like it before or since after. Diagnosed with ms last year. Mind you EBV itself is fairly common. Not sure how many people get glandular fever as that comes in various severities with some people not even knowing they have had it. Interestingly when I told my Neuro I’d had glandular fever he wrongly assumed I had it as a teenager not as someone approaching 30. But again, it’s one of those viruses that stay in your body lurking maybe it was more vicious second time around! Also another illnessdoctors can’t do anything about that destroys your live as you know it at the time.

what was interesting is 90% of the people tested who had MS had the virus, where is only about 26% of the same amount without MS had the virus which is a huge difference isnt it.

[quote=“Crazy Chick”]

what was interesting is 90% of the people tested who had MS had the virus, where is only about 26% of the same amount without MS had the virus which is a huge difference isnt it.

[/quote] I wonder if they tested say 100 people with m.s. and 100 people who didn’t have m.s. for every known virus there may well be other viruses which are far more common in pwms.

yes if you read the article it does say they did that hun.

I had glandular fever when I was five years old and was off school for nearly two years. I did ask the consultant when I was diagnosed in 2013 if there was a link only because I had read somewhere that there could be and he just flapped his hand in the air and said no. Since reading different things about it I am convinced there is a link, some of the symptoms are very similar and that sort of virus must leave damage behind but obviously he didn’t like me asking. Mind you it seems a lifetime ago since I was five!

1 Like

It is quite interesting, but it’s not precisely all new information. If you see the Barts Blog from 2014, they’ve talked about EBV. But it seems far more complex than just saying EBV is present in PWMS. Multiple Sclerosis Research In fact they say that most people in the world are infected by EBV.

Sue

Too much heavy petting if you ask me and this wouldn’t be happening if Mary Whitehouse was still around to provide moral guidance.

3 Likes