Neurologist appointment

Hi, I am new here and even though no doctor has ever told me I might have MS I am thinking I might have. I have my first neurologist appointment next week and am wondering what to expect. I was taken into hospital in February this year. They suspected a blood clot and then said possible virus. In hospital I had a CT scan which revealed possible ‘lumps’ in my back near/on my spine. A consultant sent me for an MRI scan on my chest/back. This MRI revealed benign neurogenic tumours. The consultant said I would need to see a geneticist and that I would also need a MRI on my brain. After the MRI on my brain, the consultant contacted me to say I would no longer need to see a geneticist but would need to see a neurologist. I was put on the waiting list and will have my first appointment next week. Over the last few months as I have been waiting for my neurologist appointment, I have experienced some odd symptoms and sensations. At first it felt like a spider was walking on my right hand but there was nothing there. This happened a few times then lately my right arm has been feeling weak for short amounts of time. I have also had some dizziness and have lost my balance. Researching these symptoms led to me finding out about MS And this forum. I am a 28 year old female. I am otherwise fit and healthy. Other than the above issues, I was sent to hospital in January 2017 with suspected virus (again) and went to the GP last December with extreme tiredness/weakneas and a blood test revealed I had B12 deficiency. I don’t really know what the previous consultant has told the neurologist. I know I should have asked more questions but I didn’t think at the time. I am not sure what to expect or whether I am wrong to suspect MS. I have seen many people say they go to a neurologist who then orders a MRI but I have already had the MRI scans so I don’t know what they will want to discuss or do next. Is there anyone with a similar experience or advice on how I should prepare? Thank you for reading

Hiya,

Don’t worry; you seem to have been to every type of doctor; a Neurologist will put you in the right direction.

This will give you some idea what to expect mult-sclerosis.org

Please note vitamin B12 deficiency can cause the symptoms you have.

Symptoms of Vitamin B12 Deficiency

· Weakness, tiredness, or lightheadedness.

· Heart palpitations and shortness of breath.

· Pale skin.

· A smooth tongue.

· Constipation, diarrhea, loss of appetite, or gas.

· Nerve problems like numbness or tingling, muscle weakness, and problems walking.

· Vision loss.

Good luck

George

Hello

In terms of preparing for the first neurology appointment, the first thing you should perhaps do is write down a brief history for yourself of the symptoms you’ve experienced together with the dates. A sort of time line. So you can tell the neurologist what has happened to you and when. Include any symptoms that have either completely or partially got better, and how long the6 lasted.

The neurologist will have seen your spine and brain MRI scans, so I’d expect the neurologist to take a history from you, do a physical examination and then discuss with you what they think is causing your problems.

You should keep in your mind, that while you have started to suspect MS is the cause of your problems, it may not be. MS is a disease that shares many symptoms with other diagnoses.

Best of luck for your appointment. If possible, take someone with you. Often, people leave a neurologists appointment, thinking they’ve followed the whole conversation and will remember what’s been said. Then leave the room and ask ‘what just happened?’ So another pair of ears is always helpful. Plus, if it’s someone you know well, they may remember things you’ve forgotten to say.

Sue