Neuro Appoiuntment

Had my neuro appt this week and it was a complete waste of time. It lasted 5 minutes, I was never examined and when I queried all the meds I am taking, the advice was to try to cut down on them gradually to see if it made sny difference. So basically I can either have the feeling of being drowsy or I can suffer the pain. I used to take depo and was part of the risk sharing scheme, so now that I am no longer taking it was told that there was really no point seeing him again but if I really wanted to I could make an another appt for next year. Feel like medically I have been abandoned! :cry:

I do know how you feel. I can spend longer waiting to be seen than actually in the Consulting room. Waited nearly an hour once for about 10mins consulting time. And no apology for delay!!! This time they have had to reschedule me. So they put me in with the man I saw last time. Which was a locum type guy and had to go through medical details yet again for what nothing and when I left the room I asked to be seen by the Nuero who knows me. Three phone calls and leaving messages to his secretary and yes I am seeing the man. But just think it is a waste of time going. I have been dx with ppms. There is nothing out there for me. He even adviced my against ldn. Saying not enough research had been done. Went against his decision and I have found that it has helped me alot with the pain and spams I was getting. So go again in Jan which I know will be a waste of time. But what I am wanting to know is if I do have a problem how long would it take to get an appointment with him. if I get taken off his consulting list? C

Can I please ask what might sound a silly question. I only see my MS neuro once a year now. And to be fair it’s usually a waist of time. However I also have a rehab neurologist who I see 6 monthly or whenever I have a major issue. He prescribes my meds other than DMD’s and is my savour because he is so accessible. Is this normal??? My daughters friends mum has SPMS and also see’s my MS neuro (or i see her’s as the case may be) but she also see’s my rehab neuro as well. Are we just incredibly lucky or dose everybody have this facility? Strudders

Candystripe wrote:

I do know how you feel. I can spend longer waiting to be seen than actually in the Consulting room. Waited nearly an hour once for about 10mins consulting time. And no apology for delay!!! This time they have had to reschedule me. So they put me in with the man I saw last time. Which was a locum type guy and had to go through medical details yet again for what nothing and when I left the room I asked to be seen by the Nuero who knows me. Three phone calls and leaving messages to his secretary and yes I am seeing the man. But just think it is a waste of time going. I have been dx with ppms. There is nothing out there for me. He even adviced my against ldn. Saying not enough research had been done. Went against his decision and I have found that it has helped me alot with the pain and spams I was getting. So go again in Jan which I know will be a waste of time. But what I am wanting to know is if I do have a problem how long would it take to get an appointment with him. if I get taken off his consulting list? C

Candystripe… hun… please change your font colour. Would like to read your posts but all I see is pink patterns on white background. Thanks, Pat x

No thats the only contact I havw with a neuro.

red wrote:

Had my neuro appt this week and it was a complete waste of time. It lasted 5 minutes, I was never examined and when I queried all the meds I am taking, the advice was to try to cut down on them gradually to see if it made sny difference. So basically I can either have the feeling of being drowsy or I can suffer the pain. I used to take depo and was part of the risk sharing scheme, so now that I am no longer taking it was told that there was really no point seeing him again but if I really wanted to I could make an another appt for next year. Feel like medically I have been abandoned! :cry:

Hi Red, I’ve had a few years of awful neuro visits, but yesterday I went along with different attitude and ‘plan’ and had a much more positive experience. Please read my post on PPMS board… ‘good neuro visit!’ I’m going write down exactly what I did that made it better so I can read it before I go next time. I think I might have finally found the ‘trick’ to a good neuro visit… basically is you take control from the second you get in there! Anyway… maybe it was just a fluke… Nothing is more upsetting and depressing then waiting a year to see the neuro only to come out feeling dismissed and ignored. I really understand how makes you want to cry. Sorry my laptop got formatting problems... bug*er... Pat x

strudders wrote:

Can I please ask what might sound a silly question. I only see my MS neuro once a year now. And to be fair it’s usually a waist of time. However I also have a rehab neurologist who I see 6 monthly or whenever I have a major issue. He prescribes my meds other than DMD’s and is my savour because he is so accessible. Is this normal??? My daughters friends mum has SPMS and also see’s my MS neuro (or i see her’s as the case may be) but she also see’s my rehab neuro as well. Are we just incredibly lucky or dose everybody have this facility? Strudders

I’m on once-a-year neuro appointments too. And he’s suggested even that might not be necessary if I’m managing OK, and don’t have anything specific I want to raise. I do have a number to ring for the relapse clinic, but have so far never used it (touch wood). I’ve had a couple of blips that might or might not have been minor relapses, but nothing I was interested in seeking treatment for, so I couldn’t see the point in making an appointment. I don’t have an MS nurse either, so main point of contact outside of acute relapses or the annual neuro visit is my GP. Don’t go there much either. But just had an invitation to make an appointment for my annual flu’ jab, so will try to get a GP appt. at same time, to discuss my recently-developed codeine intolerance. :frowning: T.

Hi red, yeh…same here! Seen a whole bunch of neuros over the years…nothing gets done to give me a definite dx…but my dx of 95% ppms, will do me, I guess! But I do think we should attend annual appointments, if they are offered that is - I know many MSers have been discharged by neuros, who can offer no further help. I think this is important for a few reasons…one of which is so that the DWP can get up to date reports on us, if needed. Plus, you never know…there may be a new treatment which we could benefit from…although, im not holding my breath on that one! Look after yourself...youre worth it! luv Pollx

Thanks everyone at least I know I’m not the only one :smiley: