negative MRI but still diagnosed with MS

Just a quick breakdown for you 2 years ago started with all weird and wonderful symptoms hardly able to walk, weakness in arms and legs , widespread pain , what i now believe to be the MS hug , headaches , brain fog , cramps eventually right sided numbness . During this time i had a CT scan and MRI both came back clear GP told me for about 12 months that there was nothing wrong with me and nothing they could do , after 12 months and me complaing i was referred to a reumotologist who diagnosed CFS and fibro . Strangley my symptoms seemed to ease off and i was mainly left with weak arms and now n again some of the other things would pop up. Here we are 18 months after that MRI and my symptoms are all back weakness in arms is worse than ever , legs not as bad as before, headaches , dizziness, MS hug, and i have noticed my hearing and eue sight has deteriorated. I have spoke to a different GP this time and they have referred me to neurolgy and has mentioned the possibility of MS and the more i read the more it fits. So ill finally get to ny question , can I have MS and of had a clear MRI 18 motnhs ago ? Im hoping they will do another when my referral comes thru and they wont just not bother because it was clear 18 months ago ? Wats everyones experineces ? Thanks

Hi, sorry to hear all about your symptoms. My MRI scan at 18 months and six months before diagnosis were both clear. The evoke potential tests highlighted so me issues but my diagnosis came through after the lumber puncture. The first sign of MS on an MRI was 7 months after diagnosis- with one lesion.
Hang in there and ask the Neurologist for the evoke potential tests.

Hi thanks for the reply . Ive had to ring the GP today as im having another bout of facial numbness only something ive experienced once before . GP has said he will refer me for another MRI because if that comes through before the neurology appointment atleast they have something to look at . But he also said seens my last MRI was clear i wouldnt worry about it . And my response was well not really because there is clearly something wrong with me and as much as i dont want to have MS i cant bare living without knowing anymore i need answers and cant keep having the GP tell me there is nothing wrong with me .

1 Like

Hi Nicky,

What were your first symptoms of you don’t mind me asking?