My hot tip for insomnia

I have probably had MS symptoms for 3 years but was diagnosed last October. I have suffered with disturbed sleep for 3 years. i.e. waking at 4 and not getting back to sleep, or not getting to sleep until 4 in the morning. As we all know MS is debilitating on its own let alone without a good nights sleep.

So I have discovered pethadene which is an over the counter antihistamine which causes drowsiness. You have to ask the pharmacist for it. It comes in 25mg tablets. I take one at 7 pm and generally I have a much better nights sleep. Sometimes I take two but not often

it has totally revolutionised my life! I just thought I’d share this in case it can help anyone.

Sally x

I had to Google that as I wasn’t familiar with the name. All I came across was Pethidine which is like morphine. Either way, I don’t think it’s wise to encourage anyone to self medicate, with over the counter drugs or otherwise.

Oh gosh I’m sorry. It’s phenergen! I’m dyslexic too.

Oh I didn’t want to upset anyone it’s just it has helped me enormously xx

Diphenhydramine is good too, and even the NHS (slightly grumpily) acknowledges its efficacy for short-term use and even lists the OTC meds that contain it - see link. It doesn’t always work terribly well for me these days, quite honestly, and can leave me still sleepless but with a headache, but I have had luck with it in the past. All the wonderful lavender pillow spray and good sleep hygiene in the world is sometimes not enough to do the trick, and it is nice to know there is a bit of extra help available, isnt it?

https://beta.nhs.uk/medstest/diphenhydramine/

Alison

[quote=“Gloves”]

[/quote] I think pethadene (sp) is given to women in labour!

Diphenhydramine aka Nytol. Which does work. I used it for a long time and got used to buying it at random pharmacies rather than the one I pick up prescriptions from. I agree, self medicating is a bad idea. But that doesn’t stop people doing it. Sleep is so important. And it’s so horrible being sleepless.

Sue

1 Like

Hi there!

i also struggle with sleep… actually as I say this it’s 4;57am on my only day off and I am exhausted. I am glad you’ve found relief, being that MS is a stress triggered illness and sleep deprivation is 1 of the most stressful things your body goes through… you have a point.

I feel if I’d should be said though that prolonged use of any variation of those drugs causes significant memory loss (both long and short term)

but it also you might want to try breaks and instead use melatonin (natural sleep aid)

hope this helps!!!

Pethidine is what they give you during child birth. Don’t think they give that out over the counter!