Hi everyone, Does anyone know why the pain from a ms hug is in your chest,it feels like a heart attack.What causes it Thanks
‘A type of neuropathic pain caused by MS nerve damage in the brain or spinal cord. It feels like a tight band or constricting pain, usually around the trunk of the body.’ this is what is says on this site.
its the intercostal musles (in between ribs) going into spasm.
hope this is of some help.
Hi, Here’s a list of tips that might help. Also I find that Amitriptyline helps mine. I get it less often and less tight.
Yes it can feel like a heart attack when it’s bad. When it’s not so bad it feels like you are wearing a corset.
It’s a spasm of the small muscles between the ribs. Here are some tips that might help:
· It can go all around your rib area, or only in part of rib area… up high on ribs or low down on ribs… or it can be only on one side of ribs
· Much worse in heat
· Much worse when fatigued or stressed
· Don’t wear a bra (it irritates the muscles)
· Don’t wear tight clothing… the looser the better
· Avoid large meals… little and often is better
· Lie down in/on bed if you can… and lying completely flat often helps
· Take 2 Paracetamol… if you are not on other pain med’s
· Try controlling your breathing… deep in through the nose and slowly blow out of mouth… and try and relax whole body while doing it
· Stay as cool as you can but don’t have cold shower… luke warm is better
· Rest, rest, rest and then get some more rest (if at all possible)
· Gently rub the affected area. It might feel like it’s bruised… don’t worry, that’s normal