ms hug - this maybe a stupid question

This question may make me look really stupid.

I’m not sure if I’ve had an ms hug, but I have been known to have a sore chest pains & my chest feels really tight. Sometimes this happens when I’m hungry, I’ve always put it down to hunger pains & maybe it is just that. But I was just wondering is this another thing that I’ve brushed off

I don’t know, but I’ve experienced this and put it down to indigestion, but I too wondered if it was ms hug. We can look a bit stupid together perhaps. X

MS hug or girdle effect

Why does MS cause the hug or girdle effect?
This is a spasm-type symptom that is one of the more unusual effects of MS. Between each of our ribs are tiny muscles called intercostal muscles. These hold the ribs in place but provide flexibility at the same time. If these muscles go into spasm, the result can be uncomfortable or painful. This is sometimes referred to as ‘banding’.

Effects
People with this symptom of MS describe a burning or tight sensation which spreads around the rib cage, causing a crushing feeling that can range from uncomfortable to very painful. Sometimes it is accompanied by pins and needles. Most commonly felt around the ribs, occasionally the effect is experienced in the hands or feet.

Treatments
Individuals with MS who experience the hug or girdle effect do not always have the same degree of intensity of pain. For some, it is no more than an uncomfortable feeling, which passes without the need for any treatment. Others, however, need pain relief to deal with the spasm. Analgesic cream, warmth and painkillers are all used to provide relief. Your medical professional will discuss how best to manage your pain and will bear in mind any other drugs you are taking

Does it feel like you want to take your bra off and when you do, it doesn’t really help…that’s me

Yes, I’ve had that feeling but never thought it was to do with my ms.

Well flowerpot, still not sure our odd things are connected to ms or could it just be a coinseidence

Hi, Blossom you have described the hug exactly, it hurts, bra on or off, and many people with MS suffer with it. Janet x

Can anything we do bring on the hug?

Hello Janet

I’ve been taking my bra off due to the discomfort long before my diagnosis. Strange, in a sort of nice way, when you start to get answers for symptoms you’ve been experiencing for a long time.

xx

Sorry Minnie. I don’t know what brings on the hug

Noreen xx

Hi Blossom, I’ve had MS for 40 years now and everyone has different symptoms. Like you the hug plays a big part as does the fatigue. When I first started getting the hug I was much younger and not in a position to remove my bra (being at work) but now I just whip it off but as you say, makes no difference at all. Hope yours gives you a break soon. Janet x

Hi Minnie, My hug seems to occur more when I sit down and relax and then it just keeps on. Remembering we are all different it could be stress, tiredness or any number of reasons. Sorry not much help really. Janet x

Does anyone else get a really tight pain when they are hungry, whether its ms related or not?

Hi Minnie mouse Yes, I get a tight feeling in my chest when I’m Hungary (probably why I’ve just had to loose 2st!). Many moons ago a gp told me it was intergestion, but I don’t think it is :slight_smile: