MS Hug Explaination Please

Hi could someone please explain what this is as ive had the last 4 months of spasms and pain in the muscle just above my solar whatsit and my 2nd rib up and it hurts like ell even through the pregabalin diazepam and zapain and im wondering if and whenever the appt arrives as my ms nurse is always outta the office and my neuro i havent heard from yet but could this be part of the ms or something i need to see me doc for many thanks in advance

sheep

Hope this helps Sheep.

MS hug or girdle effect

Why does MS cause the hug or girdle effect?
This is a spasm-type symptom that is one of the more unusual effects of MS. Between each of our ribs are tiny muscles called intercostal muscles. These hold the ribs in place but provide flexibility at the same time. If these muscles go into spasm, the result can be uncomfortable or painful. This is sometimes referred to as ‘banding’.

Effects
People with this symptom of MS describe a burning or tight sensation which spreads around the rib cage, causing a crushing feeling that can range from uncomfortable to very painful. Sometimes it is accompanied by pins and needles. Most commonly felt around the ribs, occasionally the effect is experienced in the hands or feet.

Treatments
Individuals with MS who experience the hug or girdle effect do not always have the same degree of intensity of pain. For some, it is no more than an uncomfortable feeling, which passes without the need for any treatment. Others, however, need pain relief to deal with the spasm. Analgesic cream, warmth and painkillers are all used to provide relief. Your medical professional will discuss how best to manage your pain and will bear in mind any other drugs you are taking

G

By the way YES see doc to assertain no other problem; very important

Many huge thenks ggood that explains it perfectlly damn its painful my sympathies goes to anyone that gets the hug yep will pop down and see him at some point im bad with Drs and only go when im crawling which i get told off about when i get down there but will get it checked as its from my back around the side to my front and hurts like ell but i only seem to get it after driving the car the weird part is i dont get it after riding the bike so im thinking that the trigger is my backside sat in the seat and my legs and arms causing a twist/trigger when im pushing the pedals or turning the wheel but a great reply with great info and explanation may thanks

Respect sheep

This weekend the what i now know as the hug started on my left side too as i was driving hurt like ell for 10 mins now just aching for 4-5 days but its now both sides is this normally how it goes from 1 to the other side or both at the same time i have an appt with my ms nurse on the 21st Aug so planning to wait until i see herr before contacting my gp , also does it make breathing at night time restricted for anyone as this seems to be occurring some nights not everynight

respect sheep