MS and Tai Chi

Hello,

A couple of days ago I was introduced to Tai Chi in an hour long exercise session. The controlled movements that involved standing, changing the weight bearing foot and balance were a revelation to me. I was doing the Shibashi Exercises.

The physio was very enthusiastic about the advantages of Tai Chi. It was a revelaton to me, what experiences have you had?

I would love to hear from you

Patrick

om

I have balance issues (can’t walk in a straight line) but my physio reckons he can help me improve it. We haven’t tried Tai Chi - that’s probably a bit ambitious for my fitness level and balance - but if you enjoy it, go for it.

I’m on a programme of exercises from my physio that suit my fitness level and capabilities, but he was emphatic that pretty well any exercise is better than none. And there are lots of suggestions on the internet - stick “MS exercises” in your search engine, one of the results I found was an article that recommended yoga and tai chi.

If you enjoy Tai Chi, stick with it. I hope it helps you, just as I hope my exercises will help me.

Mitzi

we have tai chi at our ms therapy centre.

we are all at varying stages of unbalancedness (sorry for such a clumsy word) so we use a chair to help us keep our balance.

it’s a nice calm session with nice calm music and an occasional tinkly bell.

carole x

I do Tai Chi every week and it works for me. I no longer do my Physio exercises as it’s enough to counteract the stiffness and cramps I was getting. I do sometimes wobble, but it’s improving with practice! I normally find exercise boring, but I’ve stuck with this for seven months and have no intention of quitting!

I do Tai Chi every week and it works for me. I no longer do my Physio exercises as it’s enough to counteract the stiffness and cramps I was getting. I do sometimes wobble, but it’s improving with practice! I normally find exercise boring, but I’ve stuck with this for seven months and have no intention of quitting!

I took an 8 week tai chi class run by the neurophysios at my hospital, it was a small group of 10 people all with MS. I noticed an improvement in my balance and I still do the exercises that I was shown at home.

Hi, I`ve done it sitting down (in my wheelie). It was good, but as I was the only wheelie, I felt I missed out and stopped going. The master offered me a different class, for sitters, but the time was difficult for me to attend.

I may be re joining a different class soon.

Glad it helps you and others.

luv Pollx

I’ve been doing Pilates for a while now. It’s core balance and it helps with posture and balance. I used to do tai chi before I was dx’d and am seriously considering doing pilates incorporating tai chi. It is supposed to help and I do believe that it does. I’m also looking into meditation. I think all three will be beneficial. Linda x

Really interesting.

I have fancied ding Tai Chi for AGES but I have always been scared of trying it because I thought that I would fall over and everybody would laugh at me. Sounds like I should stop being such a wobbly scardey cat and give it a whirl!

Really interesting to hear your comments.

I felt very positive aftert the introduction and I’m now doing it for 15 to 29 minutes eah day. Too early to say if I notice any difference wth my balance but my core muscles are certinly feelinng it and I’m not the type of guy to sit around and do nothinng

I’v just done a blog on my website and hoprfully another one about my progress etc in a couple of months.

Patrick

aid4disabled.com.

l have always been interested in Tai Chi. Seeing all those people in China - doing there exercises -usually during their break time from work. lt looks so majestic and calming. Wish there was a class near to me as l would love to try it. l did buy a dvd of Tai Chi for Arthritis sufferers - and did try it. But its not the same as doing it in a class with others. Will look out my dvd - and give it another go.

Pilates and Yoga are also brilliant.

I found my tai chi class by accident. I did a google search and nothing local came up, but my two boys started karate lessons last year and their instructor is also a tai chi instructor. May be worth phoning a few local places to see if they offer classes. X

Hello,

There is always Google and Youtube. I used “Tai Chi Shibashi exercises” and got some results

Patrick

I Did taoist tai chi for a couple of years, I found the instructors very frustrating they kept trying to tell me how to balance, even though they new I was a dance teacher, and did tai boxing for years, I know how to balance and transfer weight, you just don’t understand why I can’t do it, and if I can’t do it properly what’s the point? They also made me feel like I wasn’t trying hard enough, just let them feel like we do for one day then see if they feel the same, lol sorry it did piss me off. Lol

I’ve been considering types of exercise, good for flexibility and relaxation. Tai Chi came to mind - and fascinated to hear everyone’s comments. Going to try a class next week. Suspect it might be better than yoga.

I had the same idea last year. After a couple of months doing the conventional physio exercises I didn’t feel any improvement. I wondered if something more cerebral might be more effective.

I found a local gym, explained that I had PPMS and joined in. Within a month I had greater mobility, better balance and a new pastime with new friends. My instructor even sorted out a couple of twinges that osteopaths couldn’t fix.

Tai Chi is not a cure, but it’s the next best thing. It all depends on how good your instructor is though. Mine is Ace. He even gave me a few extra one-to-one sessions for no charge.

Anthony

Hi, I started Taichi about 3 years ago it is great for balance and when I get pain it really helps when I do Taichi I find it really helps me relax.

I’ve been doing the Tai Chi since I posted my comment last November, and find it improves my balance, is wonderfully relaxing and I enjoy it. I don’t worry about not being able to lift my legs higher than an inch or two - no-one is looking as everyone is lost in their own relaxing world. If I need to just stop for a minute it is no problem. I love it.

1 Like

I tried seated Tai Chi, but felt uncomfortable , being the only wheelie in the class.

If you can stand whilst others are falling over, you`re a better man than I, Gungadin!

pollsx