MS and no sweat?

I was just reading a post on facebook about age of dx… and someone had put that their symptoms went back to their 20’s… ie not sweating.

Very interesting I thought as I never sweat. I can be boiling hot but sweating? Not at all or hardly at all. Certainly nothing compared to when I was younger.

So I googled… and quite a lot of links about people with MS not sweating!

Now I know like all things MS that this doesn’t affect everyone… in fact I know someone with MS who sweats a lot, but it’s interesting as I have never ever heard of this before.

I have Utthoff’s Syndrome… when symptoms get worse when hot… and apparently there’s a link between Uttoff’s and not sweating, in that normally people sweat to cool down but with Utthoff’s you can’t cool down.

Here’s one link… quite a technical article… and if you google ‘MS and not sweating’ you’ll find more links.

Darn another symptom I should have put on the damned ESA form!

http://jap.physiology.org/content/109/5/1531

Pat xx

1 Like

Hi pat, I am exactly the same no sweating. I had wondered if this was an ms symptom and now I know. It would be interesting to know how many people here are the same as us.

ann x

2 Likes

Me too Ann… so hope you people will post if they sweat or not.

Such sophisticated topics we discuss on here…

Pat xx

1 Like

I can’t say I never sweat but I rarely do. I’ve just been on holiday where it was very hot and I didn’t sweat there at all. I spent most of my time during the day sat in the pool to keep my body temperature down. My symptoms are much worse in the heat.

I spent my youth wishing I didn’t, now I’m going to spend the rest of my life wishing I did

Jan x

1 Like

I don’t sweat anymore, and I certainly used to, though not profusely. I had this down as an after effect of chemo rather than MS. I have also found that my skin is generally less oily, and my hair needs washing less often. I had lost most of my hair, from head and body due to the chemo, and only some of it has come back- arms, legs and chest hair have not really grown back, but my full head of hair and hair ‘down there’ did. Too much information, sorry! But my now bare armpits don’t sweat at all. MS or chemo? I don’t know. But I’m interested to know that it could be an MS thing.

1 Like

Another non sweater here and haven’t done for over ten years, which I put down to having a dodgy thermostat. My body reacts to the ambient temperature and when it’s cold I am cold, and when it’s hot I am hot. Putting on warm clothes once cold doesn’t seem to make any difference.

On the bright side, I move much better when freezing cold, so mustn’t grumble.

1 Like

I don’t sweat as much as I used to, when I am hot it feels like I am burning up inside but not on the outside, how strange.

Perhaps I am turning into a microwave!!! Lol

Pam x

1 Like

I’m obviously the odd one! If it’s even only a little bit warm and I do only a little bit of exercise I sweat! It’s mainly just my head but I sweat so much my hair can be damp. Over the summer I took medication to stop the sweating as it was ridiculous - I’d get up and dressed, go downstairs and make a drink and my hair would be soaking and my face would be bright red.

Sarah x

2 Likes

I dont do anything to make mme sweat.

1 Like

I’m another odd one. I sweat profusely and it’s awful. I even went to doc’s to see if I was menopausal but it’s not that either, but it could be a side effect of the morphine as I take a very huge dose twice a day. I’m better when it’s hot though and in winter my skin feels as if I’ve been scalded, very painful.

As you say, we’re all different and although my thermostat plays silly beggars, making me feel cold easily it’s not totally broken like my short term memory. Take care.

Cath x

1 Like

I have never thought about it - but I don’t sweat either. Like others I don’t do anything to sweat and I cover my body in baby oil every day as my skin is so dry. Also I can only be as warm or cold as the ambient temperature. I find the air conditioning in the car draughty - and although it is set at 23 degrees I have a coat round my back and back of my legs. My toes and front of my legs are lovely and warm.

I never thought of these things as MS - you just adapt don’t you.

jackie xx

1 Like

Jackie my skin is very dry too. Awful. Always rubbing oil into myself or E45. And my hair is very dry.

I also find that I’m either too hot or too cold… rarely just right.

I can be freezing and under the duvet with heating on trying to get warm. Then I have to turn heating off, open the window wide and desperately try to cool down.

Fun isn’t it…

Pat xx

Hi, I dont sweat either…but the I dont move enough to work up to a sweat!

pollx

2 Likes

Thanks for great responses gang.

Well it’s interesting isn’t it… we are all either one extreme or the other!

I struggle with the hot / cold thing too. Either freezing cold or boiling hot. And sometimes if I get too cold I then get boiling hot! It’s mad.

Or what about when you’re boiling hot but your feet are freezing cold? That one’s fun…

My internal thermometer is definitely F’d up!

Hope you’all having a good weekend!

Very autumnal in London.

Love to all,

Pat xx

2 Likes

Just think if we were cars, we would be put into our local garages for a new thermostat to be fitted!!!

Pam x

2 Likes

Yep, another odd one out here. I sweat so much that I’ve my own pillows; usually cheap ones that can be chucked out after a couple of months because they’ve gone all yellow due of my sweaty head. And my workouts at the gym leave me covered in so much sweat that I ‘literally’ sweated over half a pint from my body after my last session, which was carefully measured! (Imagine wringing out an XL sized polo shirt having just jumped into a swimming pool with it on!) Heat I love, and crave. Cold: I really cannot stand at all…

2 Likes