MS and depression

Morning everyone, I’m looking for advice but I don’t know if it’s MS related.

For the last few weeks I have been horribly emotionally unstable. Anything that happens leaves me in floods of tears for no real reason, I seem to be either in tears or struggling to hold them back. I have a good life, wonderful supportive husband, great kids and friends so no excuse for this nonsense really. I’ve made an appointment to see my GP next Monday to see if she can find out any reason and if there’s anything I can do about it. Really I want to find out if it’s MS related, my age (45 and female) or just me. Could it be MS related? I’m not down about having MS, it’s been a long time and just part of my life.

Just looking for answers, needing to offload and just wondering if there’s someone out there that can relate because it’s quite a struggle at the moment.

Many thanks

Becky x

there is a symptom caused lability, caused by lesions on the pseudobulbar affect (PBA) which causes uncontrollable laughing and crying for no reason.

the ms trust have a leaflet on it.

i had it once for a couple of days.

my sister called round and she is almost always like that although she doesn’t have ms.

anyway ms was the reason i had it.

Hi Becky

Caroles right, emotional lability is a relatively common thing for people with MS, either laughing very inappropriately or crying at nothing. There’s an MS Trust webpage on it (isn’t there always?): Pseudobulbar affect (pathological laughing and crying) | MS Trust

The other alternative of course is early menopause. You could see your doctor for a blood test that will tell them if you are peri-menopausal.

Good luck.

Sue