Forum

MS not yet confirmed - emotionally out of control

Hello,

I am currently detained on a section 2 in a psychiatric ward but am being discharged on Friday as I had an MRI and they have discovered brain anomalies. They haven’t said MS because they’re psychiatrists and not neurologists, but they have referred me to a neurologist.

Thing is, I’m 25 and have had emotional difficulties since I was 17. This is my 20th hospital admission in the past 4 years. And only now are they telling me it’s not mental illness but due to organic brain issues.

I am emotionally out of control, normally depressed but I’ve become very angry, highly suicidal, and have even experienced euphoria which is what got me sectioned in the first place. They thought I had bipolar and borderline personality disorder…but no, a brain condition.

Does anyone else on here have similar issues? From what I’ve read it’s rare.

My great aunt had MS, so I do think that’s what it is.

hi lou one thing is certain which is that the MRI will give the neuros information as to what is causing your symptoms. make sure that your CPN is aware of it. you will need his/her support. it will probably help the team to know what is going on. there is a symptom of ms called lability which made me go from extreme sadness and crying to as you say, euphoria and hysterical laughter. it was short lived in my case. if you need help with the suicidal feelings, please get help. either from your mental health team or you could ring the ms society helpline. 0800 800 8000 the diagnosis procedure can make anyone depressed, so reassure yourself that it is a normal reaction. i am sending you a huge wave of love. carole x

Hello Lou

Discovery of anomalies in your MRI scan does not necessarily mean it’s MS. It could be something else entirely.

As Carole said emotional lability (being unable to regulate your emotional state and having rapid changes of mood) can be a symptom of MS, but could also be a symptom of a number of other diagnoses.

I’m sure that it’s a relief to you knowing that it’s an organic problem and not a psychological one that has caused your problems. What a shame it’s taken so long to have it made apparent.

Once you see the neurologist, s/he will be able to go through your history and symptoms in conjunction with the MRI scan and will hopefully be in a position to make a diagnosis, or refer you for further tests before diagnosis.

Meanwhile, don’t rely on getting an MS diagnosis.

And as Carole said, keep hold of the MS helpline number as well as any other helplines that you have access to, in particular your current mental health team.

Best of luck.

Sue