Forum

MS affecting both sides?

Diagnosed 3 weeks ago, been in relaspe for 9 weeks. was recovering now right side is bad again weakness pain etc now finding left side is affected arm tingling, pins and needles and tremors in my hand. Is it normal for ms to affect both sides at the same time?

Thanks

Tracy x

I’ve got that but I’m not diagnosed my left side is really bad today and right side is also numb but not as painful as left

mel x

I wouldn’t say it was normal, but it certainly happens, especially if some of them are old symptoms (old symptoms often become active again when a new attack hits).

It sounds awfully like you might be starting a new relapse :frowning: It’s possible that it’s not your MS of course - maybe a trapped nerve or something?, but I think you should call your MS nurse in the morning.

One thing though: could you have a UTI? Best to get it checked even if you don’t have any symptoms - I’m just coming out of what I thought was a relapse, but it turned out I had a low grade UTI and antibiotics are now fixing everything very nicely :slight_smile:

So a phone call to your GP in the morning too.

I hope it’s just a blip, whatever the cause.

Karen x

[quote=“tracyjj”]

Diagnosed 3 weeks ago, been in relaspe for 9 weeks. was recovering now right side is bad again weakness pain etc now finding left side is affected arm tingling, pins and needles and tremors in my hand. Is it normal for ms to affect both sides at the same time?

Thanks

Tracy x

[/quote] I was Diagnosed beginning of the year and have had 2 relapses since then ,1 on either side affecting my arms hands ect ,at times I think I’m going mental cause both of them tingle at the same time ,even my nurosurgen is puzzled I have a massive legion in my neck that is causing this but he said there was no change after another MRI , and after me telling him how bad it gets he decided to put me on antidepressants which have done nothing to help with the tiredness x

I started with numbness down my left side 9 weeks ago, then after about 3 weeks, I started getting pins and needles in my right leg, which has slowly spread all the way up my right side. I had a 5 day course of methylprednisolone and the symptoms on my right side have started since then. After about 5 weeks, I felt I was really improving, but since then I have been having a lot of balance problems. However, the Neuro assures me this is still part of the same episode and says it is because I have a large lesion in my neck, but I’m not so sure that it can be the same episode, as I feel to be getting worse and surely I should be getting better after the steroids. I was given a 99% diagnosis last week of RRMS, as they need to rule out Devic’s before it is 100%.

Fizzy x

Hello my name is julie my husband is registered partially sighted has lost alot of weight has double vision in remaining side vision,speach problems ,bowel problems ,stomach pains ,sweating problems ,a leg that twists wile walking, the list goes on and on lol.He used to have tremors right hand, leg only but over the last few days his left hand has started a tremor too.He has been diagnosed by one neurologist after mri scan and visable white patches on his brain and abnormal areas on his brain.He has been tranfered to another neurologist at another hospital what specalise in ms.He is currently waiting to get medication , I presume if the tremors starts on one side eg right and starts to affect the other side, left side of the body the lesions must be getting worse on his brain.I thought most people only got problems affecting one side with tremors?

Hi Tracy (common name, lol)

I’m relapsing at the moment and both hands are very tingly and both feet. My right leg is the worst and my left arm is the worst but both sides are affected to a certain extent. This also happened with my last biggie relapse back in 2009 so yes it happens. I guess I’m a glutton for punishment :wink:

Tracey (do you find there’s always another Tracy/Tracey wherever you go?)

Just another thought.
Transverse myelitis - by definition - affects both sides of the spinal cord, and hence the nerves that run from both sides.
It can typically affect both sides of the body (mine did) but differently on each side.
Ever since the onset, one side has never been as good as the other.
It took the usual LP and MRI before the diagnosis was changed to RRMS, but the left side is always the worst.

So, inflamation in the spine, and (now) a few lesions as well, and a few relapses along the way, and the problems are still biased to the left, but have not left the right side alone. It could be worse - so far my sight has not been affected.

Geoff