MRI scan

Having an MRI scan tomorrow and really nervous how long do they usually last for? can’t remember it has been 14 years since last one when first diagnosed with MS.

jenny x

depends, but usually no more than an hour.

the best preparation (aside from taking a pee before going into the tube) is to listen to a few albums by The Chemical Brothers… or Daft Punk if you prefer. :slight_smile:

Just relax and be mellow.

1 Like

What can you listen to music on ?

jenny x

Hi Jenny

Are you having brain and spine?

I am having spine done on 10th March and I am a bit nervous too.

Hope it goes well.

Shazzie xx

Hi Shazzie

im having brain mri I keep telling myself I will be fine it’s got to be done "positive thinking " hope your ok

jennyxx

Hi Jenny

My first one was done 12 years ago and to be honest I don’t remember lasting too long.

I hope it is over really quickly for you and that your results are good.

I am having a spine one done as my legs have become really heavy over the past few months.

Let us know how it goes. I’ll be thinking of you.

Shazzie xx

Hi they don’t last that long take a cd along and they should let you listen to it with head phones. They also put a frame over you head with mirrors on so you can see out the bottom it really helps. I’m a bit weird cos I really like to have scans they are nice and warm and cosy and the noise blocks out all your normal thoughts and dare I say I like the feel of the vibrations!!! Lol

relax and enjoy the music hope all goes well em :slight_smile:

I had a brain scan last August. It lasted about 15- 20 minutes. I didn’t have the option of listening to music-I just remember it being quite noisy-they gave me ear plugs. You just have to lie as still as you can. They gave me a panic button to press if needed. It was ok though and the operator talked to me every so often to make sure I was ok.

My previous MRI was a brain and spine one which was 19 years ago. I remember being in the scanner for about an hour as they kept having to check something. I remember listening to music then and the song "Breakfast at Tiffanys"kept being played. Whenever I hear that now it reminds me of being in that scanner!!

Good luck

Cathy

I had neck and brain scanned with contrast,a syringe full of stuff which was squeezed in after about 20 minutes and the whole thing was 30-35 minutes.This was 14 years ago,so things might have changed.Apart from the ‘House/garage/garden shed noise’ it’s easy peasy.

Wb

1 Like