MRI scan with contrast

Hi all.

I’ve had loads of MRI scans but never one with contrast (presumably gadolinium). I now have one next week with contrast.

Any experiences to share - seems to be plenty of the usual scare stuff on Google!?

This is from the NHS site.

Contrast agent

Some MRI scans involve having an injection of contrast agent (dye). This makes certain tissues and blood vessels show up more clearly and in greater detail.

Sometimes the contrast agent can cause side effects, such as:

• feeling or being sick
  • a skin rash
  • a headache
  • dizziness

These side effects are usually mild and don’t last very long.

It’s also possible for contrast agent to cause tissue and organ damage in people with severe kidney disease.

If you have a history of kidney disease, you may be given a blood test to determine how well your kidneys are functioning and whether it’s safe to proceed with the scan.

You should let the staff know if you have a history of allergic reactions or any blood clotting problems before having the injection.

MRI scan - How it’s performed - NHS (www.nhs.uk)

1 Like

Had MRI with contrast 2 weeks ago. Mine was full head and spine and only difference from my last MRI was it lasted a bit longer as they did it without contrast, then did the injection and ran me through again. If you’re used to the MRIs then, from my experience, no difference and nothing to worry about. Hope this helps👍🏻

1 Like

I’ve had many ‘with contrast’ MRIs; they’ve always been OK in my case. Head and full spine takes around an hour, so boredom kicks in… I’ve even been known to fall asleep.

1 Like

I was told the contrast showed up anything new so they could differentiate between old lesions that don’t absorb it, and new ones.

Ta for all replies. Update for anyone with the same query: was all fine - took ages (90 mins), and had a few cannula problems but no after effects.

1 Like