MRI Appointment

Hi all,

I posted last week about my ophthalmology appointment on Weds, following Optic Neuritis (which came on about 5 1/2 weeks ago). The Ophthalmologist wanted to refer me for urgent MRI. Got the appointment through in the post today and am having a head and ‘orbits’ mri on 9th December.

As I understand it, ‘Orbits’ means eyes. The pictures afterwards should be interesting!

My question is, should the MRI include spine also? Obviously, I’m not a health professional, but I know that the point of me having the MRI is because Optho and GP suspect MS. I have my first neuro appointment on 25th November. Should I mention to him about the MRI not including spine? Or will that just make me look as though I have been ‘self diagnosing’?

Basically, I don’t want to waste any NHS time or resources by requesting additional screening. However, not sure if it would be better to include spine now so that it doesn’t have to be done in the future (if necessary).

Any thoughts or advice gratefully received!

PGxx

My urgent MRI is of head and spine. Not got the appointment through yet though x

Doesn’t the head one include orbits anyway? I thought it did but not sure (just wondering cos I didn’t have orbits asked for but optician thinks I have neuro prob with eyes). Can’t hurt to ask about spine being added as it would be reasonable for you to have looked up ms if they have mentioned it and know its often requested. Axx

Hi PG

They put MRI head & orbits to direct the radiologist to specifically where they are interested in - also it may influence the types of cut they take on the MRI as you don’t want big chunky slices that will miss the contents of the orbit. This is most likely why your neuro-ophthalmologist is doing this.

Most MS lesions tend to occur in brain or cervical spine. Most likely in light of you only having had Optic neuritis your neuro-ophthalmologist wants to rule out any obvious MS damage without risking expense / radiation etc If you’re really concerned you could query it and ask for a cervical spine to be added too.

If this is your first episode of neuro issues - there is a good chance you may never go on to develop MS (50% I think for people who have optic neuritis as a first episode). But the GP and ophthalmologist is being thorough and sending you to the neurologist so that you are in the system should you go on to develop further symptoms.

Hope that helps - good luck with your MRI whatever appraoch you decide to go with. My one bit of advice would be always geta copy of your MRI results on CD (it costs around £20 usually). But if you were to develop anything in the future and you’re not in that area at least you have an MRI that was taken before for comparison.

Reemz

X

If you ask for a copy of the MRI do they give you it there and then?

Hi everyone and thank you for your replies.

I will talk to the neuro and see what he says - I’m sure he knows far better than me!

Re the ‘orbits’, I only mentioned it as they’re listed separately on the letter from the MRI unit. I didn’t know that, Reemz, about the different sized ‘slices’. Very interesting.

I will ask for a copy of the MRI, I’m sure there’s a possibility it could come in useful later.

I think the Ophtho and GP suspect MS because I’m a 27 year old female, and they have done numerous blood tests for alternative causes and they have all come back clear (except for Folate, although B12 was fine…). I also have some odd symptoms of buzzing in my legs and feet, a numb right leg which comes and goes but lasts for several hours at a time, a sensation of hot wet patches on my thighs and arm and a numb patch just below my right shoulder blade.

All of this could be unconnected, but I think it may account for their swift action.

Either way, I am very glad and grateful to be seen quickly, so I will just see how it goes with the neuro and MRI and take things from there.

Thanks again for your replies xxx

i saw a neuro two days ago and today had my date for spine and head mri with contrast , this is going to be on tuesday!! its very scary when it happens so fast!!! but im grateful to be honest. i had similar symptoms to you and i am 29. good luck xx

i saw a neuro two days ago and today had my date for spine and head mri with contrast , this is going to be on tuesday!! its very scary when it happens so fast!!! but im grateful to be honest. i had similar symptoms to you and i am 29. good luck xx

Just been doing some research and the hospital I’m going to on 9th December for my MRI got a brand new T3 scanner in July this year.

I have no idea what it even means, but it sounds good?! It was opened by Linford Christie. Ooo-err! xx