Mental Health

not being on any DMD’s and as a result of that not getting much support from the medics coupled with a bit of frustration with the m.s. society who have their own agenda I approached my local mental health service - think it’s called the IAPT - was given a counsellor - no charge.

So once a week I see this counsellor and am able to offload all my worries and anxieties about my m.s.

For the first time ever someone asked me what my biggest fears were about having m.s.

Of course there are no quick answers but I found and am finding it beneficial just to talk about m.s. issues.

2 Likes

Hi Krakowian,

I would imagine that not having any support with MS is as bad as having MS in the first place.

Those of us with a good MS nurse know the value of having access to a sympathetic health professional so I hope you find your councillor provides you with a gateway to an improved quality of life.

Best wishes,

Anthony

That’s great to read Krakowian. I sometimes wish that was something I had access to, along with my husband. I try to suppress my tears, anger and frustration as much as possible, as I feel he must be sick of seeing my tears. Then there’s his own thoughts and feelings about it all. Of course he’s "fine, with everything! Of course he’s “fine” with being my carer, my driver. The person I call because I can no longer dice and slice the vegetables I’m trying to prepare for a meal. He must be frustrated too, and who is there to listen to him?

Poppy - my guess is that there is some organisation or someone in your locality who could help. Look up Mental Health in your locality and see what you find. The counsellor I see isn’t 'm.s. trained but he’s willing to listen to me for an hour a week and for that I am very grateful.

1 Like

[quote=“albrecht durer”]

Hi Krakowian,

I would imagine that not having any support with MS is as bad as having MS in the first place.

Those of us with a good MS nurse know the value of having access to a sympathetic health professional so I hope you find your councillor provides you with a gateway to an improved quality of life.

Best wishes,

Anthony

[/quote] Thanks A D. I have always found the mental pressure of having m.s. difficult - it seems an aspect some m.s. nurses shy away from. Seeing a counsellor once a week is a great help.