Forum

Memory and crosswords?

Hi you other people with memory problems.

I seem to be going through this b…forgetful b…cant remember words or sentences stage again. (Excuse the expletives).

My husband bought me a crossword book where the crosswords start off easy but become more difficult, as the answers are in the back you can always cheat to help you along your way.

Does anyone else use crosswords and how effective do you think it is in helping to keep what little brain I have left. Or are there other things I could use. I have a nintendo brain trainer which is good at first but once you get used to the games it doesn’t seem to aid my every day memory, oh and can’t sit at computer, due to ‘the hug’ and back pain.

Thank you for replies.

Wendy x

Hi, I use puzzle books which have a wide variety of puzzles from crosswords and wordsearches to spot the difference puzzles. I think it helps but can be frustrating at times - have to admit i have a lot of unfinished puzzles on the go at the moment

Instead of a computer that you have to sit at, would a more portable device - a laptop or tablet be any use to you?

Dom

I’m not sure if doing crosswords and puzzles helps my brain but I love them and always have a “Puzzler” on the go.

Sometimes I must admit that I have to have my iphone handy just in case a word ends up swimming off.

What I frequently get stuck with are my mental lists that I do at night to get to sleep (– A to Z of items that constitute 5 a day, items made of wood etc.) I think doing anything that stretches the brain and exercises the memory can only be good.

Jane

I’ve got a crossword book with answers at the back…I cheat a lot

Mmm me too!

I will speak with my husband about this thanks

Wndy x

I’ve been playing Lumosity on my computer. Only the free version, it’s like Brain Training but better and I never know which games are coming up. There are some games where I don’t even understand what I’m meant to be doing so my score is always nil but some of the games are helping my concentration and memory.

I do puzzle books and word games but sometimes I get frustrated because the word that I know just won’t come. I also keep messing up Sudoku these days and they used to be so easy (well the easy ones were). I used to like the logic problems where you have the grid and have to work out who did what, at what time etc, and you put a tick for the definite true answer and a cross where it can’t be true until you have worked out the whole scenario. I make a complete pig’s ear of those now as well. I now have puzzle books with half completed puzzles and lots of crossings out and then I give up :frowning:

Sorry no answers for you but I know the problem.

Tracey x

Thanks for your thought Tracey

Wendy x

[quote=tay]

Hi, I use puzzle books which have a wide variety of puzzles from crosswords and wordsearches to spot the difference puzzles. I think it helps but can be frustrating at times - have to admit i have a lot of unfinished puzzles on the go at the moment

[/quote

Hi Tay

Mmm me too, I never was that good with ‘cryptic puzzles’ not enough patience, many left in my book but at least I can cheat.

Wendy x

Thanks Jane, I suppose it’s like the body use it or lose it.

Wendy x

Hi, I use crossword books for more than brain teasers…they help me go! We always have a crossword book and pen on the cistern!

Another thing I like to do, is like what someone else said;

in bed, after lights out, if I cant sleep, I play ABC…tv programmes, celebs, flowers, countries etc, or sometimes I reckon up what year someone was born in according to their present age…stuff like this works your brain.

pollx

Hi Wendy,

i would be lost without my laptop, i cant sit up for very long, so buying a laptop was the best thing for me, i do everything on it, run the house on it, do all my shopping,all my banking,infact i dont know how i managed so long wihout one.

J x

Sad to admit this but I buy the Sun for one reson and one reason only, it’s crossword. It is quite a hard one as they use a lot slaong in it and some really quite old fashioned words that I haven’t ever heard of before. These ones tend to stick in my mind. I do the crossword to keep my mind sharp.

Andy

Snap! We always have a puzzle book in the bathroom. I grew up used to it as mum always left her puzzle books in the bathroom with the quip that she was ‘working it out with a pencil’ lol. From the time he could read and write, my son would yell ‘how do you spell …’ as he was filling in answers on my crosswords! It helps with the constipation if I have something to take my mind off things

Tracey x

I try and do crosswords etc as much as possible, and particularly like the Codeword things…where you have to work out which number represents each letter of the alphabet. I, too, play the A - Z came when I can’t sleep. I’m always trying to think of new categories, so any suggestions would be dry gratefully received!!

Sorry…have no idea why I typed the word ‘dry’ in the middle of that last sentence!!

Hi J

I do have a laptop but wonder how you can use it comfortably without sitting up at a desk? Does it run on a battery or something, would be interested to know.

Wendy x

The charge on a laptop should last for about 4 hours depending on its age. I put mine on a lap tray and sit on the sofa. Also do a lot on my smart phone. Both are more comfy than sitting at a PC. xx

[quote=annelda72]The charge on a laptop should last for about 4 hours depending on its age. I put mine on a lap tray and sit on the sofa. Also do a lot on my smart phone. Both are more comfy than sitting at a PC. xx[/quote

Thank you for your reply,

The only place I am comfortable is in my bed with my v shaped pillow, I have a good rise recliner chair but cannot sit in it for very long unfortunately.

love Wendy x