Lumbar Puncture result, Confusing :/

Hi everyone I am sam and I am new here, a couple of months ago I had a lumbar puncture and I got the results today and I am confused, I have little understanding of medical talk so was wondering if someone could help me get a basic understanding. I am just going to type the parts I am concerned about: ‘protein was slightly elevated at 0.55 (normal range is 0.15 - 0.45). She also had CSF oligoclonal bands. These were negative.’ If someone could help explain what these mean I would be very greatful as my next appointment isnt for quite some time :frowning:

I can’t help with the technical stuff, but would suggest that the thing to do is to sit down with the GP and get him/her to explain the whole thing.

Alison

Hi Sam,

Oligoclonal bands (OCB) in the Cerebro-Spinal Fluid (CSF) but not in blood serum suggests MS.

I wonder since it says

“She also had CSF oligoclonal bands. These were negative.”

if there were also OCB in the serum - suggesting an infection, or something.

http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/facilities/clinical-immunology-services/neuroimmunology/other-services/OCB-patterns.aspx

Jon.

Very confusing. As others have said, usually oligoclonal bands in the CSF would be a sign of MS… so I don’t think the bands themselves can be positive or negative. You either have them or you don’t.

I am wondering if it’s a typo (or dictation error) meaning that they have found oligoclonal bands in the CSF but the blood serum is negative. That would be a sign of MS. BUT it is impossible to come to any conclusions as there is obviously an error in the letter.

So I agree with others, take letter to GP and see if he/she can make sense of it… if the GP can’t, ask if they can contact the neuro for explanation.

Sorry… very frustrating for you and hope it’s sorted quickly.

Pat x