Low blood sugar

Several times while sitting and either reading or watching TV, I started feeling dizzy, light-headed, hot. I checked my sugar and it was below 55. Seems thats my limit. Anything in the low 50’s, and I have problems.

Whats the best thing to take to get your sugar up fast. (before you pass out). Glucose tablets, a chocolate bar, sugar water, regular soda, few spoons of grape jam?? Last time it happened, I was too dizzy to walk, so I told my wife to make me some sugar water. Simple??? She put sugar in ice water and it took forever to dissolve. :confused2: Was that a hint?

Hi

I don’t have that problem myself, but my friend does and when that happens she immediately eats 2/3 jelly babies, and that’s helps her.

Hope this helps, take care.

Pam x

1 Like

When it happens to me I drink some cola, can’t stand the stuff but it works. Obviously has to be the kind that actually has sugar in.

1 Like

Have you discussed this problem with your GP?

Low blood sugar (hypoglycaemia) - NHS (www.nhs.uk)

1 Like

Thank you so much for your kind replies

1 Like

A friend of mine carries dextrose tablets around with him. Alternatively, cereal bars seem to be the next thing he grabs.

I’m no expert but he has been type 1 diabetic and is insulin dependent, since he was 9 years old, now 50 plus.

Whatever the root cause what he does seems to work. So it might be worth a try to have some glucose tablets to hand and a sweet cereal bar.

Personally, I also experience drops in sugar feel sick and faint, no particular pattern, I grab for a sugary sweet (mint) often gets me by until I eat.