Losing parts of my day and forgetting a lot!

Hi everyone, a few of you will have read my tales before of my left sided numbness and weakness. Have a look under my username if you’re interested. Well, I’ve been reading on here about “brain fog” and wondered what it really means and whether something I’ve experienced recently is similar?

There have been a few times recently when I’ve totally missed a couple of minutes. Scarily, it’s happened when I’ve been driving to and from work. I’ve continued to drive (maybe on autopilot) and not go into any accidents, but I’ll realise that I honestly don’t remember the last 2-3 minutes of my journey. As hard as I think about what I’ve seen and been past in that time, I just cannot remember. Like I remember being at one point and then I’m somewhere a couple of miles down the road and just do not know what happened along the way! It’s been a little disconcerting but I’ve just put it down to being distracted or tired. Just to say, when I also try to think if I’ve been day dreaming or thinking about something particular, I just don’t remember. Like those few minutes are just a blank.

I’ve found it once or twice when not driving too. It’s not often and and it’s not happened much yet, but just wondered if it’s something anyone can relate to or whether it’s just me being a “contrary mary”!

Still waiting for my neurologist appointment. 6 weeks since the referral was done. The weakness in my arm improved at first on the amitriptyline but has come back a bit now (not as bad as it was) and now having trouble with a weak foot with possible slight foot drop. I shall continue to wait!

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Natalie

Oh I forgot to say (ironically) that I totally forget conversations I’ve had with people too. I was talking to my husband last night about where he wants me to take him for his birthday meal and I said that he hadn’t given me any clues at all. Then he just looked at me and said, “last time we had a conversation like this the penny dropped but this time you really don’t remember do you?” He then told me when he had told me he would like to go and I did remember once he said it but I had totally forgotten that we’d even ever discussed it! This has been happening on and off for a while.

Greetings

It happens to ms folk but this also happens to other people. A few years ago a friend said he couldn’t recall any of his journey into work. It was a distance too. These things are not exciting things and are easy to just blank or go on auto.

Mark

Hi Natalie

I’m sorry, I cannot offer any advice, just sympathy

This happens to me too. Often when I’m driving I can cover quite a distance of motorway, and then forget totally what road I am on and where I am going. This confusion only lasts a few seconds but is quite distressing. Like you, I don’t think I’m dangerous, just switch on to auto pilot. I spend most of the week on the road so I guess each motorway looks like the others after a while…

I also forget what I have done a few days ago. I had dinner with friends on Wednesday, and the conversation consisted of them asking me how Saturday night was, and me not knowing what they are talking about and completely forgetting what I did Saturday night. I then cannot move on until I have remembered what it was, which sometimes only takes 15 minutes, but can take hours, even days.

I often wonder what my friends/colleagues make of my blank, then confused face!

I used to be able to operate without a diary and remember everything, meetings, birthdays etc, now I have to use my mobile, my diary and my Outlook calender and STILL bumble along forgetting the most basic conversation or instruction

I hope you get your referral soon and you get the answers you need. I had to wait 12 weeks for mine, so I feel your frustration

Best

C

Mine was rushed thanks to GP and Rheumi and possible fits/mini strokes but only waited 2 weeks now its scan this saturday of brain and neck then waiting for nerve test so until they are done its still limbo so I know how you all feel.

Wendy x

Yep happens to me, in conversations im having i will forget what were talking about and conversations Ive had, im sure my wife takes advantage of this thought :wink: (you said you would take the rubbish out)

Anyway, as for the driving thing, I believe this happens to everyone with or without MS your brain will go on auto pilot and your subconsious comes into life, rest assured that if break lights come on ahead or theres a bend in the road your brain soon switches you back to normal. I suppose its like when you sleep your brain remembers to continue breathing.

Good luck and keep smiling and enjoy your hubbies brithday dinner.

Yep happens to me, in conversations im having i will forget what were talking about and conversations Ive had, im sure my wife takes advantage of this thought :wink: (you said you would take the rubbish out)

Anyway, as for the driving thing, I believe this happens to everyone with or without MS your brain will go on auto pilot and your subconsious comes into life, rest assured that if break lights come on ahead or theres a bend in the road your brain soon switches you back to normal. I suppose its like when you sleep your brain remembers to continue breathing.

Good luck and keep smiling and enjoy your hubbies brithday dinner.