Looking for some advice please, very scared

Hello. I am a 22 (almost 23) year old woman looking for some advice please.

Back in january 2007 I had some very strange symptoms.
One night I woke up with a dead arm and leg where I had been laying on them and the feeling spread to my cheek for about a minute and then went.
A few nights later the same thing happened but this time it spread to my lips and this time I couldn’t spreak for about a minute as my lips were actually like a dead weight!
It happened one more time but this time it spread to my nose and only lasted about half a minute.
Every time it happened I had tingling on and off all over my body the day after it had happened.
At the same time my vision slowly went funny. I had double vision for about 2/3 weeks.
I also felt just generally unwell during this time, I was sick a few times, was exhausted and kept getting head aches.

I saw my dr and my optician. The dr said the numbness was most likely a trapped nerve and that the double vision could be because of sinusitis which I had just got over. The optician said my double vision was probably due to a lazy eye.

All the symptoms went away slowly and I tried to forget about it. But then a lady who I helped care for passed away from complications due to ms (she was very elderly) and it got me thinking as well that ms was never ruled out for me. And I know that with ms you can go a long long time with out any symptoms and then it can appear again.

I spoke to my dr yesterday and she basically said that we just have to wait and see if I get symptoms again.

But I was hoping some one on here might be able to give me some information and advice? Thank you in advance.

Hi worried2012. I am sorry you have found yourself here after having these symptoms. I really hope someone can answer your questions and I can only suggest you go back to your GP and ask for a referral to a neurologist or an opthomologist. At least that way you would get the ball rolling.

Take care of yourself and I hope it ends up to be nothing xx

Hi thank you for replying.

I did suggest that I could see a neuro to my dr but she seemed to only think I should if any symptoms ever came back. I’m just so convinced I have ms, I don’t know why xx

Hi Worried,

If you’ve been okay since the last time it happened in 2007 then I’d go with what your GP has suggested and take the wait and see approach. If on the other hand you’ve had persistent problems or they’ve reoccurred since, then I’d go back to your GP and ask for some tests.

It’s understandable why you’re now thinking ‘ms’ but there are lots of other potential causes for the symptoms that you had back then and they would all need to be ruled out. MS ‘type’ symptoms can present themselves in many many other conditions some of which are not serious and are easily treatable.

It’s really easy to say this - but very hard to actually do - but try not to worry or stress out about it. Stress alone can cause all sorts of weird things to happen to our bodies and this makes us feel even worse.

It’s very sad news that the lady you were caring for has passed away and it’s a no wonder that this has prompted you to consider ms as a possibility for what happened to you 5 years ago.

Keep an eye on things. Your GP is there should you need her so don’t hesitate to contact her should any of the symptoms reappear. For now though, if all is well then if it were me I’d put it to the back of my mind and enjoy life.

Hope that helps

Debbie xx

Hi Worried x

I agree with the others - wait and see - if any symptoms come back go straight back to your GP & keep going!!!

Keep a diary - but try not to obsess about it too much - that’s easily done believe me!! xxxjenxxx

Hi thank you for replying rubina and kizzy. I am trying to forget about the symptoms I had but every day it feels like I’m waiting for them to come back. My mum tried to say to me that if you have ms you have mobility problems but that’s not always the case is it? It is a good idea to keep a diary but at the moment I don’t have any symptoms at all. Sorry about lack of paragraphs, I’m on my phone xx